Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
MicrobeWiki is a free wiki resource on microbes and microbiology, authored by students at many colleges and universities.
Principles of Biology
This textbook is designed specifically for Kansas State's Biology 198 Class. The course is taught using the studio...
Fostering Research Integrity: The Hong Kong Manifesto for Assessing Researchers
The Hong Kong Manifesto for Assessing Researchers: Fostering Research Integrity (22nd May 2019 version/6th World...
Advances in Aspergillus fumigatus Pathobiology
Aspergillus fumigatus is a human fungal pathogen that causes invasive aspergillosis (IA), a major infectious cause of...
Advances and Trends in Development of Plant Factories
The plant factory is a facility that aids the steady production of high-quality vegetables all year round by artificially...
Interactive Modeling of Biological Networks | Cell Collective
Cell Collective is an interactive, open and collaborative modeling platform for Biological Networks for researchers,...
Actinobacteria in special and extreme habitats: diversity, function roles and environmental adaptations
Actinobacteria are highly diverse prokaryotes that are ubiquitous in soil, freshwater and marine ecosystems. Although...
About The Foodborne Pathogen Campylobacter
Campylobacter has emerged as the leading cause of bacterial foodborne disease worldwide with a significant impact on...
Concepts Of Biology
Concepts of Biology is designed for the typical introductory biology course for nonmajors, covering standard scope and...
BIOL S401 Contemporary Biology Development (Free Courseware)
This course is mainly presented in printed format and comprises five study units. Each unit contains study content,...
Conservation and Biodiversity
This is a short book/course module that contains cases about Biodiversity in Hong Kong. It could be classified as a...
Applied ecology is a framework for the application of knowledge about ecosystems so that actions can be taken to create a...
Biology for Non-Majors I
Biology for Non-Majors I introduces students to the basics of the scientific process, the chemical foundations of life,...
Anatomy and Physiology
Anatomy and Physiology is a dynamic textbook for the two-semester human anatomy and physiology course for life science...
Human Anatomy Lab Manual
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN TO DO: Describe and identify the anatomical position and locate major organs.
Anatomy & Physiology
Many people have compared the human body to a machine. Think about some common machines, such as drills and washing...
Human Anatomy OER - Lab Manual
This is a laboratory manual designed by Skyline College to be used in Biology 250, Human Anatomy.
The National Library of Medicine's Visible Human Project
The National Library of Medicine Visable Humnan Project offers publicly-available complete, anatomically detailed,...
Project Open Anatomy Learning Materials
Project Open Anatomy Learning Materials provides content regarding human anatomy.
The Human Brain
This website offers views, details, histology, MRI, 3D Rendering, and movies regarding the human brain.
DNA Learning Center
This website offers an interactive look at how DNA can be transferred between organisms by using bacterial plasmids. It...
The Carbon Cycle | UCAR Center for Science Education
This website gives help to show the way and process that the carbon cycle functions. It is an easy way for students to...
Secondary Metabolites in Plants
This website describes secondary metabolites in plants and their role. It contains a list of metabolite classes with...
CRISPR gene-editing systems 3D animation
Scientifically accurate 3D animation on CRISPR gene-editing systems with real molecular structures
Prince Tshobolo dikaUNIKIN
Madeleynne CastilloUNIVERSIDAD TECNOLOGICA DE CHILE INACAP
Wendi RussacNorthwest Association of Biomedical Research
Andrea ThurmesBig Lake High School
Hana McMahon-ColeUniversity of Nebraska System - Lincoln
Mark KyleUrsuline College
Meriam VizcaynoDepartment of Education
Jane KimCalifornia State University, San Marcos
Brianna WalshPoint Loma Nazarene College
Heather ThulinKern High School District
Raquel TingTexas State Technical College System
Jennifer CarrSalem State College
Lynn FletcherSalem State College
Karl PruittLawson State Community/Technical College
Alvaro GomezIntitucion Educativa Municipal Winnipeg
emine demirEnglish Modern School
Cody RussellCalifornia State University, Northridge
Sarah IversonWeber State University
Yulu Cherry LiuHarvard University
TJ SullivanIndiana University System - Indiana University-Kokomo
Cathleen HartneyFort Lewis College
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (14)
- Biodiversity (90)
- Biology Education (7)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (24)
- Botany (308)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (564)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (8)
- Development and Embryology (70)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (781)
- Evolutionary Biology (265)
- General (400)
- Genetics (620)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (945)
- Life (134)
- Marine Biology (6)
- Medicine and Health (18)
- Microbiology (364)
- Mycology (4)
- Neuroscience (1)
- Zoology (250)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Researchers Unravel the Biology of a Distinct Prostate Cancer Subtype
Jun 26, 2019 10:15 AM PDT
Red panda cub being weighed June 19. (Jessica Kordell/Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute)
Jun 26, 2019 10:03 AM PDT
Sara Baer will lead Kansas Biological Survey
Jun 26, 2019 09:52 AM PDT
What Made Humans 'the Fat Primate'?
Jun 26, 2019 08:56 AM PDT
Whatley receives Briles Biology Scholarship at ECU
Jun 26, 2019 08:22 AM PDT
Schultz receives Harvey Price Biology Scholarship at ECU
Jun 26, 2019 08:17 AM PDT
Red de Institutos Nacionales de Cancer de Latinoamérica RINC-ALC
Jun 26, 2019 07:37 AM PDT
Medical clerks arrive to study in County
Jun 26, 2019 07:15 AM PDT
Non-Biological Origin of Life –“Ancient Proteins Embedded in Meteorites”
Jun 26, 2019 07:11 AM PDT
Unlocking secrets of the ice worm
Jun 26, 2019 06:52 AM PDT
Pioneering biologist Anne Innis Dagg gets her due
Jun 26, 2019 06:30 AM PDT
Bloom-Carroll Lions Club awards two scholarships to graduating seniors
Jun 26, 2019 05:56 AM PDT
Jun 26, 2019 05:04 AM PDT
Scientists take big step towards producing novel polymers in living cells
Jun 26, 2019 05:04 AM PDT
Meet the shape-shifting baby amphibians that become cannibals
Jun 26, 2019 05:00 AM PDT
Biology on Twitter
- Odigia and MERLOT partner!
buff.ly/2IQGMJM15 minutes ago | MERLOTorg
- A new Virtual Issue on Stem Cells is now available! Featuring #openaccess articles published in Cell Proliferation.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | wileymolecular
- Looking for Engineering OER? Try these! buff.ly/2PHg218
#OER #FoundInMERLOT #Engineering https://t.co/EjV0pJsyNK, photo: pic.twitter.com/EjV0pJsyNK1 day ago | MERLOTorg
- Read the newest findings in the June issue of FASEB BioAdvances on the regularion of skeletal muscle mass.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | wileymolecular
- RT @wileyinresearch: It's a match! Find out how to make sure your research matches well with the journal you submit it to. https://t.co/sz2…1 day ago | wileymolecular
- Cell Proliferation is pleased to announce its newly increased Impact Factor of 5.039! Thank you to all authors who… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 days ago | wileymolecular
- Join Leukocyte Biology’s Frontline Science article Frontline Science: Monocytes sequentially rewire metabolism and… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 days ago | wileymolecular
- New from Eur J Immunol: Accelerated thymopoiesis and improved T‐cell responses in HLA‐A2/‐DR2 transgenic BRGS‐based… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…3 days ago | wileymolecular
- The B cell novel protein 1 (BCNP1) regulates BCR signaling and B cell apoptosis. Free to read in Eur J Immunol… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 days ago | wileymolecular
- Discover new content from the June issue of Transfusion here! @AABB ow.ly/qSdW50uEl9S https://t.co/Xhh8CaoLSW, photo: pic.twitter.com/Xhh8CaoLSW4 days ago | wileymolecular