Biology Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Hello and Welcome to the Biology Portal
MERLOT is a spectacular collection of online resources you can access for use in learning and teaching. MERLOT is an initiative of the California State University.
The Biology board curates the materials related to life science. We assemble, review, and maintain resources in Anatomy & Physiology, Medicine, General Biology (including subdisciplines such as Botany, Zoology, Evolution, Genetcs, etc.), Biochemistry, Ecology and Environmental Sciences. The materials range from short videos or articles to entire courses. These can be used for learning, teaching, professional development or anything else you can dream up.
The Biology board consists of people from institutions across the country who volunteer their time and energy to upkeep and update the amazing collection of resources in the life sciences.
Meet the current Biology Board here.
We invite you to peruse and use the Biology resources found in MERLOT. You can create a portfolio of materials for use in a class, a project or simply for your own use. If we have reviewed the material you will see a rating and a summary of the review. You can also find comments from people who have used the resource.
You can help with the MERLOT project as well by contributing materials (which we will put in our queu to review). If you are interested in joining the Biology board, please contact the editors, Michael Plotkin or Marty Zahn. Our board uses this form for our reviews.
Understanding Science is the Biology Board's Classic Award winner for 2019. This site has a huge variety of resources that present a detailed and accurate portrayal of what science is and how it works. We hope you love it as much we do!
Introduction to Environmental Science, 2nd Edition
This course uses the basic principles of biology and earth science as a context for understanding environmental policies...
Fundamentals of Cell Biology
This book is a study of cell structure and function at the cellular, subcellular and molecular levels. Upon completion of...
SARS-CoV-2 spike protein mutations
UK and South African mutant lineages of COVID-19 have increased contagion. The locations of these mutations in the spike...
The Undergraduate Student’s Guide to Geometric Morphometrics
A student guide that begins your journey with geometric morphometrics. Students with some experience with R, statistics,...
WVU Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute | Better Healthcare for West Virginia and Beyond.
WE ARE IMPROVING LIVES BY PIONEERING ADVANCES IN BRAIN HEALTH. With the latest technologies, an ecosystem of partners,...
Litter to glitter: releasing the herbaceous groundlayer potential stored in oak forest floors -
By Dr. Andrew Vander Yacht, Michigan State University Presented on December 8, 2020 In oak-dominated communities...
Welcome to Learn Medical Neuroscience - Learn Medical Neuroscience
Learn Medical Neuroscience. A site to support learning in Medical Neuroscience, Neuroanatomy and Neurology. Full of links...
Foundational Concepts and Techniques in Biotechnology
A free online platform for science education from Harvard University
Life Cycle of Corona Virus
A free online platform for science education from Harvard University
Spider Silk: Wonder Material Used to Heal the Human Body
Spider silk is one of nature's wonder materials, more flexible than nylon, thinner than a human hair, and, for its...
Plants talk to each other using an internet of fungus
Hidden under your feet is an information superhighway that allows plants to communicate and help each other out. It’s...
From lakes and lagoons to coral reefs and seagrass beds, explore our wetlands and why they are important.
National Wetland Plant List
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps), as part of an interagency effort with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency...
Field Guide to Common Wetland Plants of West Virginia
An illustrated, online guide to wetland plants of West Virginia
Native Plants and Habitats
Discover the most common native plants found in each coastal habitat. These plant lists and other resources can help...
Human Biology Lab Manual
Human Biology Lab Manual
Phenomena Found in Agriculture - Middle School Ecosystem Dynamics and Interactions Unit
What do Prairie Chickens Need in Order to Survive Today's Prairie? This middle school unit covering ecosystems, animal...
Phenomena Found in Agriculture - High School Genetics and Heredity Unit
How can we Design Cattle to Better Meet Human Needs? In this high school Storyline unit on genetics and heredity,...
“Bad Breath”: An integrated case study of alcoholic liver disease for first year medical students.
Alcoholic liver disease represents a timeless teaching opportunity for health professional students. Due to the...
Recharging and rejuvenation of decontaminated N95 masks
Physics of Fluids 32, 093304 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0023940 Abstract N95 respirators comprise a critical part...
Jim Allison: Breakthrough (film) and Educator Toolkit
Educators can use the toolkit as a whole or borrow pieces to meet their unique learning objectives and circumstances. You...
DK Find Out! | Fun Facts for Kids on Animals, Earth, History and more!
Visit DK Find Out! to learn about dinosaurs, space, animals, nature & more. Fun learning activities for kids with videos,...
Online Resources for Science Laboratories (POD) - Remote Teaching
Online Resources for Science Laboratories (POD) - Remote Teaching. This is a live document. For many subjects and...
dawn BoultonWeston igh School
Erica HargreaveStoryToGo / BCIT / Ahimsa Media / UBC
Luís NoivoAgr. Rainha Santa Isabel
Rukmani KuppuswamiHill College
Darla FrenchUniversity of Pikeville
Cheryl HarringtonLittleton Public Schools
Chloe SanspreeAustwell-Tivoli ISD
Maida Fatima ChanSaint Louis University
Luiz Eduardo SousaFederal University of Ouro Preto
Kim MichelArizona State University
Chad HannaCalifornia University of Pennsylvania
Jaincy PatelJaincy Patel
Deb RauJensen Beach High School
Allison MeineckeNorth Central High School
Jessica DandoCharlotte County Public Schools
Laura TownsendArdrey Kell High School
Farida Safadi-ChamberlainColorado State University
Joanna BurgonEnglish Schools Foundation
kristi bridgeMotlow State Community/Technical College
Brian PilcherWeber State University
Adriana AndradeSacred Heart, Greenwich
MICHELE DA SILVAUNIVERSIDADEDE FEDERAL RURAL DA AMAZÔNIA
Gloria MallouUniversity of Vigo
Materials by Discipline
- Biochemistry and Biophysics (61)
- Biodiversity (98)
- Biology Education (17)
- Biotechnology and Bioinformatics (32)
- Botany (354)
- Cell and Molecular Biology (566)
- Comparative Anatomy and Physiology (13)
- Development and Embryology (66)
- Ecology and Conservation Biology (783)
- Evolutionary Biology (274)
- Genetics (727)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology (950)
- Life (133)
- Marine Biology (12)
- Medicine and Health (37)
- Microbiology (434)
- Mycology (6)
- Neuroscience (5)
- Zoology (251)
- American Society for Microbiology
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Ecological Society of America
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Society
- Association for Biology Laboratory Education
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
- American Society for Cell Biology
- Genetics Society of America
Journals & Publications
- Advances in Physiology Education
- American Biology Teacher
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education
- Bioscene: Journal of College Biology Teaching
- Bioscience Education E-Journal
- Cell Biology Education
- International Journal of Science Education
- Journal of Biological Education
- Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Journal of Science Education and Technology
- Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education
Biology on the Web
Some electric eels coordinate their attacks to zap prey
Jan 25, 2021 03:26 AM PST
CASP9 Market to eyewitness massive growth by 2025 | Aviva Systems Biology Corporation ...
Jan 25, 2021 03:09 AM PST
Global Biological Skin Substitutes Market 2020 Industry Outlook – DeRoyal Industries, Ethicon ...
Jan 25, 2021 02:52 AM PST
Letter to the Editor: In our memories
Jan 25, 2021 02:15 AM PST
Nanomedicine's 'crown' is ready for its close up
Jan 25, 2021 01:56 AM PST
Araceli Biosciences Launches Endeavor High Content Analysis Platform
Jan 25, 2021 01:00 AM PST
Agricultural Biological Market 2019 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share ...
Jan 25, 2021 12:29 AM PST
Donald Trump Jr mocks Joe Biden's transgender athletes order with cartoon, says it's 'destroying ...
Jan 25, 2021 12:15 AM PST
Wren Therapeutics Announces Financing of £12.4 Million (c. $17.0 Million)
Jan 24, 2021 11:52 PM PST
Synthetic Biology Market Examined in New Research Report
Jan 24, 2021 11:20 PM PST
Top 5 career options for Science students in 2021
Jan 24, 2021 11:07 PM PST
Biological Integrated Circuit Market: Regional Industry Segmentation, Analysis by Production ...
Jan 24, 2021 10:33 PM PST
Global Biological Pest Control Market Report 2020: BASF, InVivo, Dudutech, Koppert, Biobest ...
Jan 24, 2021 10:12 PM PST
Biological Sensor Market 2021 Precise Outlook – Abbott, Yicheng, Platinum Equity, Bayer, Roche ...
Jan 24, 2021 10:11 PM PST
'Exercised': New book by a biological anthropologist says humans are cut out to nap, not exercise ...
Jan 24, 2021 09:15 PM PST
Dragon Ball Anatomy: 5 Secrets About Frieza's Body
Jan 24, 2021 09:03 PM PST
Biological Molluscicide Market Report | Size, Growth, Demand, Scope, Opportunities and Forecast ...
Jan 24, 2021 09:01 PM PST
Forum to take attendees inside numbers of virus
Jan 24, 2021 08:41 PM PST
Biology on Twitter
- This Editors' Choice article finds that Staphylococcus aureus enterotoxin B disrupts nasal epithelial barrier integ… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago | wileymolecular
- Read this invited review discussing the general characteristics of granulocytes and their contribution towards the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…11 hours ago | wileymolecular
- "Are all models wrong?"
A brand new mathematical modelling article by @HeikoEnderling and @olafwolkenhauer in Wil… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 day ago | wileymolecular
- We are delighted to announce the first original article published in our new #OpenAccess #mathonco journal Computa… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 days ago | wileymolecular
- Contact Dermatitis is happy to welcome new Editor-in-Chief, Professor Jeanne Duus Johansen, and together we thank o… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Check out this @JSynchrotronRad article on 3D virtual histology of human pancreatic tissue by multiscale phase-cont… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Microcirculation is inviting papers for a Special Topics Issue: Visualizing the #Microcirculation.
The issue will… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Check out this Editors' Choice article on diagnosing food protein‐induced enterocolitis syndrome, published in the… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- RT @BritPharmSoc: The Society is delighted @wileyinresearch has moved to a trans-inclusive name change policy. We welcome this contribution…4 days ago | wileymolecular
- Racing to immunity: Journey to a #COVID19vaccine and lessons for the future
Read the report by @EsterCalvoFern &… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…4 days ago | wileymolecular