Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Liza Mayeux at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This overview and information is for health care professionals and students to understand and value the upcoming technology and medical advances related to genomics. It can be used in the classroom as a Powerpoint Presentation or assigned to students or health care staff for self-study.
Earn free healthcare CEs
Medical Reference and Training Manuals
Military preventative medicine with guides ranging from biology, chemistry, to infection control, and basic field...
geriatrics teaching resource
teaching resource for geriatric population
‘Care left undone’ during nursing shifts: associations with workload and perceived quality of care
Background There is strong evidence to show that lower nurse staffing levels in hospitals are associated with worse...
ACLS Rhythm Strips
Learn to quickly interpret ACLS rhythm strips. Rapid ID and treatment of life-threatening arrhythmias made easy. Scenario...
Burnout Syndrome in Critical Care Nursing Staff
A study of BOS (burn out syndrome) in the specific field of intensive/critical care nursing
MyPlate, MyWins Tips: Meal Planning Made Easy
A simple, yet detailed summary of tips and tricks to help with meal planning and prep
SkillStat - Emergency Medical Skills
SkillStat helps healthcare professionals develop rock solid emergency medical skills. Free Online Tools! ECG, ACLS, PALS,...
Public health monitoring of hypertension, diabetes and elevated cholesterol: comparison of different data sources.
Describes differences and comparability of different data sources for monitoring hypertension, blood glucose, and total...
KellyMom.com Breastfeeding and Parenting
Evidence based information on breastfeeding and parenting.
WHO Guidelines on Drawing Blood: best practices in phlebotomy
Guidelines to improve the quality and safety of blood specimens.
Essentials of Patient Education
Essentials of Patient Education
Kansas State University Human Nutrition (FNDH 400) Flexbook
The Kansas State University Human Nutrition (FNDH 400) Flexbook is a textbook for students taking Kansas State University...
Prevention of Clabsi
Video presentation created with Knovio.
Diabetes - Symptoms and causes
Evolution of Definitions for Nursing Informatics: A Critical Analysis and Revised Definition
A review of Nursing Informatics.
Fostering Research Integrity: The Hong Kong Manifesto for Assessing Researchers
The Hong Kong Manifesto for Assessing Researchers: Fostering Research Integrity (22nd May 2019 version/6th World...
Zero on the NIHSS Does Not Equal the Absence of Stroke
The National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) measures deficits caused by a stroke, but not all stroke signs are...
Postpartum depression - Symptoms and causes
Excellent information with PDF handout available on signs and symptoms/ diagnosis and treatment of postpartum...
Pediatric assessment using the pediatric assessment triangle. Includes normal vitals sign ranges.
Newborn Examination Dr. Mahr Shoblack , Dr. Hussam KhodairDr. Mahr Shoblack , Dr. Hussam Khodair and Dr. Zuhair...
ACLS - Instructor-Led Training
Offerings of BLS and ACLS in VA
Schematic Diagram of Motor and Sensory Tracts
Animated PowerPoint show of primary motor and sensory tracts with lesions.
Motor System Patient Case, Stroke
Animated PowerPoint show of a patient case with a stroke in the motor system showing clinical presentation and underlying...
Peter TranOld Dominion University
Taylor DennyOld Dominion University
hope crookOld Dominion University
Hannah YorgenOld Dominion University
Katherine RossOld Dominion University
Paula SexologaSexologa Sevilla
Eliana SejasOld Dominion University
Megan VeraOld Dominion University
Sean CalderUS Army
Chasity BassOld Dominion University
Catherine WittigOld Dominion University
Heather Eisenhauer-KennyReading hospital
Tara DurantOld Dominion University
autumn crawfordOld Dominion University
Abigail RobinsonOld Dominion University
Alfiya BissenovaOld Dominion University
Mayra MenaHuman Genetic
Mary DawitOld Dominion University
Josh MarvinLife Science
Becky MooreDixie State College
katherine guerrero de lunaINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Noelle SeipelOld Dominion University
Jeanne BernierMississippi College
Carina VelezOld Dominion University
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (460)
- Cardiology (196)
- Dentistry (56)
- Dermatology (36)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (66)
- Endocrinology (96)
- Epidemiology (87)
- Exercise Science (38)
- Gastroenterology (125)
- General (476)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (136)
- Geriatrics (58)
- Healthcare Administration (42)
- Hematology (91)
- Internal Medicine (68)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (46)
- Mental Health (538)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (326)
- Nursing Education (146)
- Nursing (830)
- Nutrition (172)
- OB and Gyn (164)
- Ophthalmology (40)
- Orthopedics (130)
- Other (269)
- Pathology (36)
- Pediatrics (145)
- Pharmacy (131)
- Preventive Medicine (25)
- Public Health (481)
- Pulmonary Medicine (49)
- Radiology (70)
- Rheumatology (6)
- Sports Medicine (27)
- Surgery (218)
- Therapeutics (34)
- Toxicology (18)
- Veterinary Medicine (30)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
Health Sciences on the Web
Public Health Services wants you to 'Look for the Sicker'
Jun 25, 2019 03:18 PM PDT
New autism therapy center to open in Columbus
Jun 25, 2019 03:18 PM PDT
Two therapy dogs ready to join Reynolds Elementary in the fall
Jun 25, 2019 02:43 PM PDT
Kaley Cuoco Gets Cupping and Scraping Therapy After Her Workout Leaves Her 'Absolutely ...
Jun 25, 2019 02:33 PM PDT
A day in the life: State public health veterinarians at work
Jun 25, 2019 02:22 PM PDT
New Data Confirm Safety Of GT Medical's GammaTile Therapy For Brain Tumors
Jun 25, 2019 02:11 PM PDT
Denton County Public Health receives recognition
Jun 25, 2019 01:48 PM PDT
"Cocktail Therapy" May Benefit Individuals With Parkinson Disease Dementia
Jun 25, 2019 01:15 PM PDT
New combo prostate cancer therapy shown safe, effective in trial
Jun 25, 2019 01:03 PM PDT
Child Therapy Clinic
Jun 25, 2019 12:40 PM PDT
Surterra Wellness Appoints Florida Physician As Medical Director
Jun 25, 2019 11:06 AM PDT
De-escalating breast cancer therapy—can some patients be spared chemotherapy?
Jun 25, 2019 10:03 AM PDT
Ibrutinib Maintenance Appears Safe in MCL Following Induction Therapy
Jun 25, 2019 09:52 AM PDT
Funeral home offers therapy dog at services
Jun 25, 2019 09:41 AM PDT
New combination therapy established as safe and effective for prostate cancer
Jun 25, 2019 09:30 AM PDT
A 35-year-old CEO who sold his first startup for $1 billion explains how therapy saved him from ...
Jun 25, 2019 09:16 AM PDT
Smoke Public Health Threat
Jun 25, 2019 09:02 AM PDT
Community health clinic emerges from bankruptcy
Jun 25, 2019 08:22 AM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- 50 articles for 50 years of gay pride: celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…19 minutes ago | ELSORTHOPAEDICS
- ja.ma/2J8LW3N49 minutes ago | JAMAInternalMed
- RT @ESS_Survey: An academic paper published by @BioMedCentral was based on analysis of our Round 7 (2014/15) #survey #data.
The study - le…49 minutes ago | BioMedCentral
- Submaximal Lateral Shuffle Test (SLST): "...the SLST is a promising protocol to further investigate lateral stabili… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…55 minutes ago | JSportsSci
- "...our results suggest that the link between exercise training and the increase in S-Klotho plasma levels could be… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | JSportsSci
- ja.ma/2Xe4V7b1 hour ago | JAMAInternalMed
- ONE WEEK TO GO!
In just one week these seats will be filled with some of the best Sport Scientists in the world. Wi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | E_C_S_S
- This study examined the reliability and validity of three methods of estimating the one-repetition maximum (1RM)… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Positive effects of early diversification👌🏀
via Jorge Arede, @PedroTEsteves An… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Background: "Little is known regarding the influence of asthma and exercise, and their interaction, on heart rate v… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…