Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
RLO: Body Metabolism
This RLO designed to provide an overview of how body metabolism responses to different physiological conditions.
RLO: Cardiac Output
This RLO is designed to explore the factors that affect cardiac output.
Bernadette Mazurek Melnyk, PhD | Everyday Health
Interviews, tips and articles linked to the helath and well-being of nurses and those for whom we care.
Cardiorespiratory | Peer Reviewed Articles
Coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) may disproportionately affect people with cardiovascular disease. Concern has been...
Cardiorespiratory endurance: Importance and how to improve
Cardiorespiratory endurance provides an indication of a person's physical fitness and measures how well the heart, lungs,...
RLO: DNA Damage and Repair Mechanisms in Human Cells
This RLO is designed to teach undergraduate students in healthcare-related programs to identify different types of DNA...
RLO: Using Varenicline for Smoking Cessation
This RLO is designed to describe the proper use of varenicline for smoking cessation, including its dosing regimen, side...
RLO: Using nicotine patches for smoking cessation
This RLO is designed to teach undergraduate students in healthcare-related programs how nicotine patches should be used...
Protein Drug Discovery & Development
This is a slightly modified version of the lecture "Protein Drug Discovery & Development", which I gave on 2020-09-09 for...
CAPS I Physical Examination Module: Cardiovascular System
At our institution, teaching basic physical examination (PE) skills capitalizes on the use of electronic resources and...
JOURNAL OF ADVANCES IN BREAST CANCER RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
The Journal of Advances in Breast Cancer Research and Development is an online open access peer reviewed journal that...
Health Equity | CDC
One of the primary goals of CDC’s National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (NCCDPHP) is to...
Health IT and racial justice: Expanding access, ending disparities, empowering communities
We launch this page during Black History Month to celebrate the accomplishments of Black people across the healthcare...
Nearly half of U.S. workers suffer from mental health issues since Covid-19 pandemic hit, report finds
There's been a jump in worker mental health issues in the last 12 months, according to a report. Companies large and...
WHO Executive Board stresses need for improved response to mental health impact of public health emergencies
The importance of integrating mental health into preparedness and response plans for public health emergencies was...
Depression, Anxiety, Loneliness Are Peaking in College Students
A survey by a Boston University researcher of nearly 33,000 college students across the country reveals the prevalence of...
The mental health effects of the pandemic, 1 year on
In this Special Feature, we evaluate the mental health effects of the pandemic now compared with 1 year ago, when this...
Learning Objective: Demonstrate the step-wise approach of the 5 A's.
Verbal Skills and Non-verbal Skills
Learning Objective: To identify basic non-verbal communication skills (good and bad) and its importance.
Learning Objective: Demonstrate the understanding of different models of the doctor-patient relationship.
Breaking Bad News
Learning Objective: To understand and demonstrate the six-step SPIKES protocol for breaking bad news.
Social Media Professionalism
Learning Objective: Describe and discuss good and poor professionalism on social media in the healthcare setting.
Learning Objective: Demonstrate the understanding of the principles of medical ethics and application of ethical...
Learning Objective: To define consent in healthcare and research context, describe the types of consent and discuss the...
Aditya Srinivas ChavaliUniversity of Canada West
Blake AndersonWake Forest University
Valerie YuFort Hays State University
Heather HillDenmark Technical College
Janet WalkerDenmark Technical College
Julie CotePlymouth State College
Karen StarkShawnee Community/Technical College
Amanda Hinson-EnslinWright State University
Tina Schmidt-McNultyUniversity of Illinois System - Chicago
Allen PattersonCoastal Alabama Community College
Debra MunsellMississippi State University
Mohamad TlassHouston Community/Technical College System
hannah BarlisMount St. Mary's College
Tatiana ZabaletaTennessee State University
Christian GodboutUniversité du Québec à Rimouski
Alana AquinoAthabasca University
Scarlett MuñozINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Aldo DadoneSapienza Università di Roma
Veronica McDonoughMiddlesex Community/Technical College
Alessia GambelliCorso di Laurea in Odontoiatria e Protesi Dentaria
Ben ClarkOld Dominion University
Nemencio Jr NicodemusUniversity of the Philippines
arkron fletcherColorado Mountain College District
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (477)
- Cardiology (207)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (38)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (102)
- Epidemiology (92)
- Exercise Science (39)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (255)
- Geriatrics (64)
- Healthcare Administration (51)
- Hematology (91)
- Internal Medicine (72)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (51)
- Mental Health (559)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (328)
- Nursing Education (190)
- Nursing (1093)
- Nutrition (178)
- OB and Gyn (254)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (274)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (160)
- Pharmacy (143)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (504)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (35)
- Toxicology (20)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
Health Sciences on the Web
Considerations for Third-Line Therapy in MM
Apr 13, 2021 05:00 AM PDT
Plasma Therapy Market Report 2021-2031
Apr 13, 2021 04:37 AM PDT
Starling Minds launches new digital therapy program to help employees return to work healthier ...
Apr 13, 2021 02:22 AM PDT
ABPTRFE: Data and Outcomes | American Board of Physical Therapy Education Residency and ...
Apr 13, 2021 01:27 AM PDT
'It's a public health crisis'| Hampton Roads mayors brainstorm ways to curb youth violence in first ...
Apr 12, 2021 08:33 PM PDT
Bill to restructure public health gets big changes in Legislature after passing state Senate
Apr 12, 2021 06:18 PM PDT
Blandford under public health emergency after water main break
Apr 12, 2021 05:56 PM PDT
April 12: Public Health announces just 1 new case
Apr 12, 2021 05:00 PM PDT
Community Health Care opens new care wing in Moline
Apr 12, 2021 04:58 PM PDT
Dallas' Taysha Gene Therapies Gets Worldwide Rights to Gene Therapy That Treats a Rare ...
Apr 12, 2021 04:48 PM PDT
Public Health Confirms 35 New COVID-19 Cases
Apr 12, 2021 04:26 PM PDT
Biden public health officials face crossroads on COVID-19
Apr 12, 2021 04:05 PM PDT
Community Health | Brooklyn Public Library
Apr 12, 2021 03:54 PM PDT
Acoustic Wave Therapy: What is it and what does it do for ED?
Apr 12, 2021 03:41 PM PDT
Changes in symptomatology, reinfection, and transmissibility associated with the SARS-CoV-2 ...
Apr 12, 2021 03:30 PM PDT
Southwest VA public health leader concerned, not surprised at recent uptick in COVID cases
Apr 12, 2021 03:02 PM PDT
Physician: James Wiseman's injury presents opportunity for Warriors
Apr 12, 2021 02:56 PM PDT
WVSOM offering community health worker training
Apr 12, 2021 02:45 PM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- .@MiraIronsMD discusses the B.1.1.7 variant, a record day for vaccinations, @CDCgov's updated guidance around “hygi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- The MOON group found that the 10 year incidence of clinical radiographic #PTOA after #ACL reconstruction in a young… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…22 minutes ago | AJSM_SportsMed
- RT @US_FDA: Today FDA and @CDCgov issued a statement regarding the Johnson & Johnson #COVID19 vaccine. We are recommending a pause in the u…31 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- ANA is collaborating w/ Columbia University to conduct an anonymous nationwide survey on the impact of #COVID-19 on… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…37 minutes ago | ANANursingWorld
- Attending @expbio 2021?
Join AJP-Heart and Circ Editor Dr. Merry Lindsey for a Meet the Editor event on April 29 a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…43 minutes ago | ajpheartcirc
- This study investigated the effect of carbohydrate supplementation on substrate oxidation during exercise in hypoxi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…51 minutes ago | MSSEonline
- .@AlaskaChevy discusses vaccination in Native American populations and how some tribal communities are… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…52 minutes ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- RT @JAMAInternalMed: ja.ma/2MahHz4 #meded #medtwitter1 hour ago | JAMAInternalMed
- The #COVID19 pandemic exacerbated xenophobia and bigotry toward Asian American and Pacific Islander communities. Ps… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | APA
- Breaking news: Federal health agencies call for an immediate pause in use of the Johnson & Johnson #COVID19… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | pharmacists