Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
LibGuides: ACRL Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: Home
Library online guide to information and resources on equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) for library services.
Guias Temáticos de Apoio: GUIA DA BIBLIOTECA PARA NOVOS ESTUDANTES: Início
Guias Temáticos de Apoio: GUIA DA BIBLIOTECA PARA NOVOS ESTUDANTES: Início
The Role of Librarians in Supporting ICT Literacy
Librarians in educational settings try to provide not only physical access but also intellectual access to recorded...
The ConnectedLib Toolkit was created to help librarians incorporate digital media into their work with youth to...
Do Academic Libraries Protect Privacy in the Digital Age?
The library profession has a long history of safeguarding user privacy, but how well do academic libraries protect...
Open Practices for PNW Librarians
On May 11, 2018, Open Oregon Educational Resources hosted a two-hour online program for Pacific Northwest librarians to...
Using Student Outcomes Data in OER Courses
As OER programs mature, we’re starting to get more data on student outcomes – and not all of the results are positive....
Writing Information Literacy Assessment Plans: A Guide to Best Practice
This paper explains how academic librarians add value to the teaching and learning missions of their institutions though...
Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices: A Guideline
The “Characteristics of Programs of Information Literacy that Illustrate Best Practices" guideline articulates elements...
Credo InfoLit Learning Community
Credo Reference has an InfoLit Learning Community that is free and open to anyone. It links to field-based resources on...
Expanding Perspectives in Your Search
This tutorial challenges researchers to actively seek sources that push outside of their initial perspective. With a more...
Research impact of a journal, an article, an author
This web-based guide will help researchers, authors, and students to track and measure the impact of research, whether...
Concept & Literature Mapping: a tutorial
The interactive tutorial that allows to search and organize the literature for analysis and synthesis of educational...
Introduction to International Copyright Law
This article addresses international copyright law, which is a mix of copyright treaties and domestic copyright laws, and...
Citizen Science: Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy
Citizen Science: Open Science, Society, and Policy is an excellent review of Citizen Science that brings together some of...
OER: A Field Guide for Academic Librarians
We intend this book to act as a guide writ large for would-be champions of OER, that anyone—called to action by the...
Preservation 101 is a free online textbook that provides a basic introduction to the concepts and standards used to build...
Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication
The Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication seeks to share useful innovations, both in thought and in...
College & Research Libraries
College & Research Libraries (C&RL) is the official scholarly research journal of the Association of College & Research...
Making Institutional Repositories Work
Quickly following what many expected to be a wholesale revolution in library practices, institutional repositories...
Meaningful Metrics: A 21st-Century Librarian’s Guide to Bibliometrics, Altmetrics, and Research Impact
What does it mean to have meaningful metrics in today’s complex higher education landscape? With a foreword by Heather...
A Guide on Academic Integrity for International Students
This guide on plagiarism for international students was developed using scholarly literature and research on the topic of...
Library Science 101: Honors Library Research Methods (Syllabus)
Syllabus used for Library Science 101: Library Research Methods Honors in Fall 2018 at East Los Angeles College. Course...
This guide is designed to help teach library research skills to introductory philosophy college students.
Jennifer FarquharSuffolk County Community/Technical College
Maureen AldenFort Lewis College
Thomas San FilippoWheaton College
Elizabeth CheneyCalifornia State University, Northridge
Jamey WilkesNorth Georgia Technical College
Andreea KosaCalifornia State University, Northridge
Liz ThompsonJames Madison University
Jessica NormanSouthern Alberta Institute of Technology
Kim BrownNorth Reading Public Schools
David ArredondoUniversity of Nebraska System - Kearney
Kayleen CoxUniversity of North Texas Health Science Center
Cindy GruwellSt. Cloud State University
Kim UnrauMedicine Hat College
Chris KoethChandler-Gilbert Community/Technical College
Andree ValdryCompton College (now El Camino)
Jill MahoneyWilliam Woods University
Diana Tedone-GoldstoneCañada College
Shane WhiteUniversity of Southern Indiana
Toni CarterAuburn University
Leigh-Ann ButlerUniversity of Ottawa
Chris LivingstonCalifornia State University, Bakersfield
Ariela McCaffreyConnecticut College
Maria Francisca MayoINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (46)
- Cataloging and Classification (38)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- General (92)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (543)
- Information Retrieval (86)
- Information Technology (22)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (70)
- Issues in Librarianship (50)
- Library Specialties (12)
- Professional Development (23)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
'Code Club' kids learn how to program robots in Bristol
Jun 25, 2019 04:26 AM PDT
100 years of the library: The service we should value like the NHS - but don't
Jun 25, 2019 01:48 AM PDT
Wood County Commission considers voting precinct consolidation
Jun 24, 2019 10:26 PM PDT
Boise citizens aim to hold city officials accountable in library/stadium hearing Tuesday
Jun 24, 2019 09:30 PM PDT
Firth school trustees approve budget
Jun 24, 2019 08:45 PM PDT
Building blocks of robotics taught at Fayetteville Public Library
Jun 24, 2019 07:37 PM PDT
Hannah Dorion: “Be a sponge and absorb any and everything you can from others in the industry”
Jun 24, 2019 06:07 PM PDT
Lorna Sheridan: Education Roundup
Jun 24, 2019 05:56 PM PDT
Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) for Schools: Global Market Analysis, Growth, Trends, and ...
Jun 24, 2019 05:45 PM PDT
Jun 24, 2019 04:15 PM PDT
i-STEM workshop teaches the teachers about project-based science education
Jun 24, 2019 03:41 PM PDT
Qatar mega-library woos youth
Jun 24, 2019 02:45 PM PDT
Words from a child inspired this woman to create a new library in Old Pascua
Jun 24, 2019 02:44 PM PDT
Jun 24, 2019 02:33 PM PDT
Lopez Library's Summer Reading Program
Jun 24, 2019 01:37 PM PDT
Miller named Champion of Education in Berkeley County
Jun 24, 2019 01:03 PM PDT
Community Calendar: June 25-26, 2019
Jun 24, 2019 11:00 AM PDT
Lib & Info on Twitter
- Looking for Engineering OER? Try these! buff.ly/2PHg218
#OER #FoundInMERLOT #Engineering https://t.co/EjV0pJsyNK, photo: pic.twitter.com/EjV0pJsyNK46 minutes ago | MERLOTorg
- "How about 'Microfiche is my fetish'?" @MoRocca trying to create a viral quote about libraries at #alaac1947 minutes ago | amlibraries
- "Aspiring cheerleader" @MoRocca does a one-handed cartwheel with water and doesn't spill a drop49 minutes ago | amlibraries
- https://t.co/p0eYljZSq8, photo: pic.twitter.com/p0eYljZSq850 minutes ago | amlibraries
- "It's always flattering when somebody says 'I didn't know I'd be interested in that.'" @MoRocca #alaac1959 minutes ago | amlibraries
- Open Mic in the Library | #acrl #ala
bddy.me/2IIrZlt1 hour ago | OCLC
- The WMS Global Community + User Group Meeting will feature 20 member-led breakout sessions. Explore the full agenda… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | OCLC
- "Paine was revolution concentrate. He could have used a little water." @MoRocca #alaac19
- "I like the challenge of finding a silly topic and finding unexpected depth. And conversely finding take-your-medic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…
- Paine should have been a little savvier, gotten a musical, put himself on some money. @MoRocca #alaac19