Library and Information Services Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Library and Information Services portal, an educational resource for information professionals.
Create a free account and begin using the learning materials, submitting your own materials for evaluation or those you find valuable on the web, and learning new ideas to help your teaching.
Research Roadmap is an interactive online tutorial for students wanting an introduction to research skills. The tutorial covers the basics, including how to select a topic and develop research questions, select, search for, find, and evaluate information sources. It also covers the ethics of information use, including copyright and fair use, how to avoid plagiarism, and how to cite sources correctly.
Student Success for community college students
This guide will help students at Nashville State Community College succussfully complete a college degree and also help...
Learning About Academic Integrity Through Experiential Learning
Purpose: This report highlights ways in which academic integrity can be taught through experiential learning activities....
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Compliance Guideline
The EU General Data Protection Regulation went into effect on May 25, 2018, replacing the Data Protection Directive...
Open Educational Resources (OERs)
A library guide for faculty explaining what Open Educational Resources (OERs) are and how to find, evaluate and create...
Guidelines for Primary Source Literacy
These guidelines articulate the range of knowledge, skills, and abilities required to effectively use primary sources....
Information Literacy identification of sources
Student exercise to identify books, articles, websites, other sources.
Applying library values to emerging technology
Decision-making in the age of open access, maker spaces, and the ever-changing library
Information literacy assessment pre- and post-test
This assessment tool can be used to determine information literacy before and after a short course or other instruction.
Using Google Scholar
Using Google Scholar to find sources for your research can yield you a lot of articles, journals, books, and more. But...
Finding Scholarly Articles
Ready to get the most out of your article search? This tutorial will help you successfully navigate search filters,...
Developing Research Questions and Creating Keywords
In these activities, you will learn strategies for generating research questions and turning those questions into...
Introduction to Design Equity
Why do affluent, liberal, and design-rich cities like Minneapolis have some of the biggest racial disparities in the...
Avoiding Plagiarism and Citing Sources
Avoiding plagiarism can be more tricky than it seems at first glance. Complete this activity to learn strategies for...
California Community College Librarian Survey on Open Educational Resources (OER)
The Michelson 20MM Foundation surveyed community college librarians throughout the state of California in 2019 about...
In the Library with the Lead Pipe
An open access, open peer-reviewed journal, founded and run by an international team of librarians working in various...
One Perfect Source?
Your topic seemed so great! So why can't you find any information on it? If you're looking for an all-in-one source that...
Research Guides: Tell Your Story - Impact & Engagement: Home
For researchers, scholars, teachers, extension agents, students, and others, this guide highlights options to share your...
Copyright Essentials: Introduction
Copyright Essentials: Introduction
Information literacy in the age of algorithms
This report is the result of a national research effort exploring how much U.S. college-age students know about the way...
Check, Please! Starter Course
In this course, we show you how to fact and source-check in five easy lessons, taking about 30 minutes apiece. The entire...
Interoperability and Retrieval [Series: Open Access for Library Schools]
This publication focuses on interoperability issues, resource description, perpetual access, importance of standards, and...
Resource Optimization [Series: Open Access for Library Schools]
This publication provides an insight into the harvesting and standards available in the context of open access...
Open Access Infrastructure [Series: Open Access for Library Schools]
This publication deals with open access resources of all types, their definition, nature, features, planning, executing,...
Introduction to Open Access [Series: Open Access for Library Schools]
This publication defines scholarly communication and the various forms of open access, explains issues related to rights...
Penny CowanSewanee,University of the South
Mary KraljicSouth Dakota State University
Samantha O'ConnorCentral Carolina Community/Technical College
marianne murdockjordan school district
Bethany WilkesSINGAPORE MANAGEMENT UNIVERSITY
Nanda KurwadkarFullerton College
odette cayupiINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Charlotte BagbyLas Positas College
Summer KrstevskaWake Forest University
Sarah PugachevUniversity of Rochester
Dr Asadullah BMazharul Uloom College
Brianne HagenHumboldt State University
María paz MirandaINACAP Universidad Tecnológica de Chile
Jennifer HurleyRoyal Melbourne Institute of Technology
Sandra CarswellS C Lee Junior High School
Meghan CasonLos Angeles Valley College
David GotoLong Beach City College
Emily FinchKansas State University
Amanda LukeWashburn University
sreenu rachamallaknm government degree college
Jessica SheehanSouthern New Hampshire University
Jessica KingUniversity of Nebraska System - Medical Center
Andrew ChalkSimmons College of Kentucky
Materials by Discipline
- Archives and Special Collections (47)
- Cataloging and Classification (52)
- Citations and Style Guides (58)
- Information and Communication Technology Literacy (539)
- Information Retrieval (97)
- Information Technology (25)
- Intellectual Property and Plagiarism (70)
- Issues in Librarianship (50)
- Library Specialties (13)
- Professional Development (24)
- American Library Association
- Public Library Association
- Association of College and Research Libraries
- Special Libraries Association
- American Association of School Librarians
- Library and Information Technology Association
- American Association of Law Libraries
- Association for Library Collections & Technical Services
- Association for Specialized and Cooperative Library Agencies
- Reference and User Services Association
- Young Adult Library Services Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Library Leadership and Management Association
- Medical Library Association
Journals & Publications
- Journal or Publication Title Journal URL College and Research Libraries
- Library and Information Science Research
- Journal of Academic Researcher
- College and Research Library News
- Cataloging and Classification Quarterly
- Reference Services Review
- Library Hi Tech
- Library Management
- Library Quarterly
- Archival Science Journal of the Medical Library Association
- Journal of Library Administration
- Journal of Information Science
- Annual Review of Information Science and Technology
- Journal of Information Technology
- Public Library Quarterly
- Public Libraries Magazine
- Library Journal
- American Libraries
Library & Information Services on the Web
School board votes across New York cause controversy, stir up legislative debate over 5 pm deadline
Jun 06, 2020 07:46 AM PDT
National Digital Library caters to students in all languages
Jun 06, 2020 06:18 AM PDT
Canton school board grants tenure to a dozen educators
Jun 06, 2020 05:00 AM PDT
Library board of trustees to meet
Jun 05, 2020 09:30 PM PDT
Town boards worried about Massena library vote
Jun 05, 2020 08:56 PM PDT
Louisville supervisor concerned about number of residents voting on library proposition
Jun 05, 2020 07:03 PM PDT
Family Strengths Network Asks County To Continue 30-Year Partnership
Jun 05, 2020 06:30 PM PDT
The Intersection of History and Memoir
Jun 05, 2020 05:56 PM PDT
Bookmobile bringing summer reading magic and learning support to children through school stops
Jun 05, 2020 04:15 PM PDT
Jun 05, 2020 04:03 PM PDT
Family Strengths Network: Serving Los Alamos Since 1989
Jun 05, 2020 03:52 PM PDT
Life of famous KC artist remembered in works displayed at UCM
Jun 05, 2020 02:46 PM PDT
Santo Niño Regional Catholic School discusses enrollment for the 2020-21 school year
Jun 05, 2020 02:45 PM PDT
SCHOOL NOTEBOOK | USD 383 hosting popup book giveaways through June
Jun 05, 2020 02:00 PM PDT
West Virginia Department Of Education And Partners Put Books In Thousands Of Childrens' Homes ...
Jun 05, 2020 01:48 PM PDT
Mattoon library adjusts Summer Read program for social distancing
Jun 05, 2020 01:26 PM PDT
Director of Information Policy
Jun 05, 2020 12:30 PM PDT
Lib & Info on Twitter
- New ALA Survey Shows Effects of Pandemic on Library Services: Libraries examine phased reopenings, summer program s… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…2 hours ago | amlibraries
- What’s Lost in a Furlough: Workers, admin see hits to morale, finances, more bit.ly/3cxdnRy2 hours ago | amlibraries
- The Rainbow’s Arc: @ALALibrary's Rainbow Round Table celebrates 50 years of pride bit.ly/2U3Z68I https://t.co/5drJTP4Tta, photo: pic.twitter.com/5drJTP4Tta3 hours ago | amlibraries
- RT @infolitgroup: Enjoy the new issue twitter.com/JInfoLit/statu…8 hours ago | LISResearch
- RT @LSEImpactBlog: “Coin of the Realm” - Graduate Student Lore and Faculty Advice on Research and Publication, A vi… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…8 hours ago | LISResearch
- RT @sheilayoshikawa: New articles in the latest issue of the open-access Journal of Information Literacy (vol 14 is… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago | LISResearch
- RT @librarycongress: NOW: @LibnOfCongress Carla Hayden & @SmithsonianSec Lonnie Bunch discuss the future of their institutions & how they r…16 hours ago | OCLC
- What’s Lost in a Furlough: Workers, admin see hits to morale, finances, more bit.ly/3cxdnRy20 hours ago | amlibraries
- Reflections on Race and Racism: @ALALibrary affiliate and division leaders speak out bit.ly/3eX6tXc https://t.co/FDUsnvybEw, photo: pic.twitter.com/FDUsnvybEw20 hours ago | amlibraries
- RT @BakerChair: Resources for those wanting to educate themselves and our children about anti-racism. Please take some time so we can impro…20 hours ago | ALALibrary