Pedagogy Community Portal
The MERLOT Pedagogy Portal is designed to help you learn about the variety of instructional strategies and issues that could help you become a better teacher. The resources you’ll find in the Pedagogy Portal should apply to teaching a variety of disciplines. This collection of resources should help you answer questions that teachers ask:
- How do I teach large lecture classes effectively?
- How do I engage my students in problem-based learning?
- Do I have to teach adult learners differently than recent high school graduates?
The resources highlighted in this portal were developed by the MERLOT Faculty Development community after several years of exploring other categorization schemes. They correspond to the steps in the teaching process; each major area has specific topics for you to explore. You can also browse the full collection of over 2,500 related materials in the “Faculty Development” Collection.
- Active Learning
- Clicker Use in Class
- Collaborative and Cooperative Learning
- Critical Thinking
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Humor in the Classroom
- Inquiry-Guided Learning
- Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Learner-Centered Teaching
- Learning Communities
- Lecture Strategies
- Mobile Learning
- Online/Hybrid Course
- Problem-Based Learning
- Service Learning
- Social Networking Tools
- Teaching Diverse Students
- Teaching with Cases
- Team-Based Learning
- Team Teaching
- Writing Standards and Assignments
New Pedagogy Materials
Avoiding Death By PowerPoint
This book is intended to help you maximise the effectiveness of your presentations. It focusses on the best use of visual...
PowerPoint 2010 Basics
Explore creating, designing and animating your slides in PowerPoint 2010. Look at the differences from Office 2003 to...
Writing Scientific Research Proposals
Writing good research proposals is an essential skill for the young and for the veteran scientist. The aim of the book is...
The Ultimate Podcasting Guide
A comprehensive step-by-step guide to creating your podcast, this book covers everything from hosting to boasting. Though...
Excel: Get and Transform Data
If you spend a lot of your valuable time every month cleaning up data so your Excel formulas will actually work – you...
Articulate Storyline 360 Tutorials - The Interface
The Articulate Storyline 360 interface is very similar to the Microsoft PowerPoint interface. This similarity is by...
Accessible Elements: Teaching Science Online and at a Distance
Accessible Elements informs science educators about current practices in online and distance education:...
Game Based Assessment: Journal of Applied Testing Technology
Game and Simulation-Based Assessments have emerged as a disruptive challenge to traditional assessment. This introduction...
Introduction to Teaching with Canvas - Self-Paced
This self-paced course will introduce you to the beauties of using Canvas in online, hybrid, and face-to-face classes....
Seven Facts about the State of Online University Courses in 2019 (Infographic)
Online learning has taken off in the past decade due to the now widespread accessibility of fast speed internet. While...
Can We Design Online Learning Platforms That Feel More Intimate Than Massive? - EdSurge News
This article is part of the guide 6 Key Trends to 21st Century Teaching. The majority of online learning environments are...
Can an LMS Be Designed for Humans First, Tech Second? | UPCEA
Despite the evolution of learning management systems over the past two decades, LMSs seem to remain tech-oriented rather...
Time Management Strategies for the Flipped Classroom
The flipped classroom creates new challenges for faculty and students in terms of time management. Here are three...
Toolbox Collection, Vol. 1: Course Design
The Toolbox Collection compiles highlights from The Toolbox, a professional development newsletter that offers...
Create a Positive Flipped Classroom Environment with the Start, Stop, Continue Strategy
"Start, Stop, Continue" works well in flipped classrooms and active learning environments because you can assess how...
Transforming Midterm Evaluations into a Metacognitive Pause
Midterm evaluations often tip toward students’ (unexamined) likes and dislikes. By leveraging the weight of the midterm...
Learning and Student Success: Presenting the Results of the 2019 Key Issues Survey
Each year, the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative surveys the higher education community on key issues and opportunities in...
Hey! H5P: Interactive online content
H5p is a free, web-based open-source tool for creating easy to share interactive content such as quizzes, matching games...
Active Learning Strategies | Center for Teaching & Learning
A comprehensive list of active learning teaching strategies.
A New Pedagogy is Emerging... and Online Learning is a Key Contributing Factor
In all the discussion about learning management systems, open educational resources (OER), massive open online courses...
Challenge-Based Online Learning to Develop Essential Competencies at the Open University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain | teachonline.ca
The Open University of Catalonia (UOC) in Barcelona, Spain is an online university with over 54,000 students in more than...
The A to Z of Presentations
This book will give everything you need to become a professional presenter. Whether you are giving a presentation to an...
Man of Inspiration - Human Rights through the Life and Work of Václav Havel
Václav Havel, a Czech president, writer and dissident, was one of the leading dissidents and human rights activists of...
Research impact of a journal, an article, an author
This web-based guide will help researchers, authors, and students to track and measure the impact of research, whether...
New Pedagogy Members
Elizabeth YoungLewis and Clark College
Ryan KudasikShippensburg University of Pennsylvania
Susan MillsUniversity of Texas System - Rio Grande Valley
Emily PerrittNorthwestern State University of Louisiana
Jason WagnerUniversity of Rochester
Laura ShraderState University of New York System - College at Fredonia
Lauren NeimeyerUniversity of Maryland System - College Park
Janice PostonBellarmine College
Alexandria McNierNorth Greenville College
Dave BasenerElmhurst College
Amy NeavesNorth Carolina State University
Tracy MooreWestern University of Health Sciences
Trelisa GlazatovUmoja Community Education Foundation
James WilliamJames William
Denise JurcaUniversity of Iowa
Karyn GleesonMarigold Learning
Alexandria LockettSpelman College
Katie BillardHumber College of Applied Arts and Technology
Newana WilliamsSouthern University - Shreveport Bossier City
Glen HarrisSouthern University - Shreveport Bossier City
Richard TraderInstitute of Health Sciences
Deb PerrySan Francisco State University
Stephaney BennettPine Bluff School District
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
- American Anthropological Association
- American Association for Colleges of Teacher Education
- American Association for Gifted Children
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Association of School Librarians
- American Association of University Women
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- American Chemical Society
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- American Historical Association
- American Library Association
- American Mathematical Society
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American School Counselor Association
- American School Health Association
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- Association for Education Communications and Technology (AECT)
- Association for Experiential Education (AEE) [www.princeton.edu/~rcurtis/aee.html]
- Association for Middle Level Education (AMLE)
- Association for Psychological Science (Formerly American Psychological Society)
- Association for Retarded Citizens
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
- Association of American Educators
- Association of American Geographers
- Association of Teacher Educators (ATE)
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Common Core Standards - Pearson Education, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Council for Social Foundations of Education (Provides links to 20 member societies)
- Education in the Professions (AERA Division I)
- ENC Online Resources for Math and Science Education [www.goenc.org]
- International Dyslexia Association
- International Literacy Association
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- International Technology Education Association (ITEA)
- Modern Language Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Art Education Association
- National Association for Bilingual and Multicultural Education
- National Association for Gifted Children
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Elementary School Principals
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- National Association of State Directors of Special Education
- National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC)
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- National Council for History Education
- National Council for Teachers of English
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Education Association
- National Even Start Association
- National Middle School Association
- National Parent Teacher Association
- National Reading Conference
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Staff Development Council
- National Summer Learning Association
- Organization of American Historians (OAH) [www.oah.org]
- Philosophy of Education Society
- Public Library Association
- Society for Cross Cultural Research
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Society for the Social Studies of Science (4-S)
- Society for the Study of Human Development (lifespan and contextual human development emphasis)
- Society of Professors of Education
- Teachers Applying Whole Language
Journals & Publications
- American Educational Research Journal
- Educational Researcher
- Review of Educational Research
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Child Development
- Scientific data
- Review of Research in Education
- Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis
- Journal of Research in Science Teaching
- Sociology of Education
- Internet and Higher Education
- Learning and Instruction
- Journal of Human Evolution
- Journal of Educational Measurement
- Computers and Education
- Developmental Review
- Studies in Science Education
- Scientific Studies of Reading
- Journal of Educational Psychology
- Educational Administration Quarterly
Pedagogy on Twitter
- Using self-paced learning to push students to master concepts might create more work in the grading process—but a h… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…6 hours ago | edutopia
- Do you use a new season as a time to reset? What do you do? (opinion) ihenow.com/2ZKbP0v https://t.co/MJQJi8NJVf, photo: pic.twitter.com/MJQJi8NJVf6 hours ago | insidehighered
- These teachers' favorite books present a broad range of experiences. edut.to/2IKkdY98 hours ago | edutopia
- 10 colleges start new academic programs, including in cannabis regulation, unmanned aircraft systems and more… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago | insidehighered
- Do you have students write a six-word memoir? Try having them enhance it with a 30-second film. edut.to/2IIChSu9 hours ago | edutopia
- Brendt Christensen found guilty in the 2017 kidnapping and murder of Chinese scholar Yingying Zhang… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…9 hours ago | insidehighered
- These elementary school students experience hands-on learning by growing a garden. 🌷🌱🐛 #EnvironmentalEducation https://t.co/mNjOQeZH08, photo: pic.twitter.com/mNjOQeZH0810 hours ago | edutopia
- What if those wage-by-major statistics obscure more than they reveal? (opinion) ihenow.com/2X7uDtU https://t.co/hbFzuL2L6j, photo: pic.twitter.com/hbFzuL2L6j11 hours ago | insidehighered
- Here's a way to get students using 4 modes of communication—speaking, listening, reading, and writing—in a single c… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…12 hours ago | edutopia
- Marketing departments are commoditizing people of color as stand-ins for "diversity" in higher ed materials (opinio… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…13 hours ago | insidehighered
Pedagogy on the Web
2019 WAN Awards: University of Maryland, A. James Clark Hall - Ballinger
Jun 26, 2019 02:00 AM PDT
Beaufort County Schools leaders vote to close Ed Tech Center
Jun 26, 2019 12:41 AM PDT
'Small Teaching Online'
Jun 26, 2019 12:07 AM PDT
'Best Paper Award' for PU library asst in US
Jun 25, 2019 07:01 PM PDT
CUNY Summit Examines the Most Effective Ways to Re-engage Adult Learners
Jun 25, 2019 05:00 PM PDT
Jun 25, 2019 02:16 PM PDT
Bar Exam Toolbox Podcast Episode 51: Making the Most of Your Bar Exam Practice
Jun 25, 2019 09:41 AM PDT
Over 190 courses for adult learners launched
Jun 25, 2019 09:18 AM PDT
Top college raising standards for adult learners across Wales
Jun 25, 2019 08:22 AM PDT
Capitals defenseman Brooks Orpik retires, calling it 'a pretty easy decision'
Jun 25, 2019 08:19 AM PDT
KNEC: Grade Three National Exams to Commence This Year
Jun 25, 2019 02:33 AM PDT
Jordan- EU, UNESCO raise media and information literacy awareness
Jun 24, 2019 11:45 PM PDT
A new coding boot camp designed for adult learners is soon to kick off at Adelaide University
Jun 24, 2019 10:26 PM PDT