This is an example on how this blood pressure simulation can be used in a class.
Course: Fundamentals of Nursing
Date Last Modified:
November 27, 2007
Have the students read information on how to take a blood pressure in their textbook or workbook
Have the students complete the online simulation and take the self-tests at the end of the simulation
Perhaps have some group discussion about a reflection of what they learned from the textbook and simulation ( you could provide the small groups with probing questions about key points).
Have the students return a demonstration of taking a blood pressure on each other
Administer a standard quiz to assess learning
A limitation of the simulation is that it does not discuss the use of automatic machines to record blood pressures. It also does not discuss how irregular heart rhythms can cause misinterpretations of blood pressure readings.
No categories defined for this Learning Exercise
College Lower Division
Blood pressure assessment
Vital signs assessment
Basic terminology, knowledge of normal values of blood pressure readings, knowledge of reportable abnormal blood pressure readings.
At the end of this lesson the learner will be able to:
* Define the terms systolic and diastolic blood pressure.
* Discuss how to correctly apply a blood pressure cuff for an adult; a child who is less than 13 years.
* Describe the purpose of the palpation technique.
* Identify at least 4 common errors that lead to inaccuracy of blood pressure readings.
* Demonstrate how to take a blood pressure using a sphygmomanometer and stethoscope.
Type of Task
*Return demonstration of taking an accurate blood pressure.
*Teacher made quiz to assess learning.