The movement of Indian civilization from the Indus River Valley to the Ganges River marked a distinctive shift in the substance of the emerging Hindu civilization. This site acquaints the user with specific features of the emerging Vedic/Hindu civilization.
To acquaint students with the significant contributions to western civilization of the emerging Vedic/Hindu civilization of India.
Text of Learning Exercise:
Part I: Answer the following questions after reading the History of Mathematics in India. (The information for Part I has moved to the following URL: http://members.tripod.com/~INDIA_RESOURCE/mathematics.htm) After finishing questions 1-8, return to this site and CLICK "go to material" for the rest of the questions. 1. Describe the development of the Decminal system.
2. Describe the arithmetic operations of Vedic mathematics.
3. What role did mathematics play in the development of the Hindu religion?
4. How did Vedic mathematics influence Pythagoras?
5. Describe the scientific notation system of Panini.
6. Describe the influence of mathematics on philosphy, trade, commerce, and astronomy.
7. How did Vedic mathematics influence calculus and applied mathematics?
8. What was the Kerala School and how it contribute to the spread of mathematics?
Part II: Aryan Invasion Theory. Read this section and answer the following questions.
9. How did the Aryan invasion connect to the ancient civlization of Harappa?
10. Is the Aryan invasion theory correct? Explain.
11. What is the importance of the Aryans to Vedic literature?
12. What is the importance of the Aryans to the Hindu religion?
Part III: Read the Purushamriga (Indian sphinx) section (This section is now found at URL: www.geocities.com/sphinxofindia/mythsandlegends.html?200930)
13. Explain the role of the Purushamriga to the Mahabharata.
14. Explain the role of the Purushamriga to the Ramayana.
15. Explain the role of the Purushamriga to the Puravas.
16. Explain the role of the Purushamriga to temple traditions.
Part IV: Read the section on Vastu Shastra.
17. What is Vastu Shastra?
18. What are the practices of Vastu Shastra?
19. How did Vastu Shastra affect Vedic architecture?
20. How did Vastu Shastra affect city planning?
Part V: Read the section on Iron Working.
21. How did the development and use of iron ore affect the Vedic people of India and Hindu civilization.
Part VI: Read the section on the Heliodorus Column.
22. Explain the importance of the Heliodorus Column to understanding Vedic culture.
Part VII: Read the section on the Horse and the Aryan debate. (The answers to this section are now at URL: www.archeaologyonline.net/artifacts/horse-debate.html)
23. How did the horse impact Vedic culture?
24. How did the horse impact Hindu civilization with the arrival of the Aryans.