To acquaint the user with both the traditonal and contemporary forms of the Japanese art known as Ukiyo-E.
Flash Player 8 needed. Free download offered.
Text of Learning Exercise:
Instructions: Click "Enter Site." Read the following sections: Introduction, Techniques, Philosophy, Gallery, and Keiji Shinohara. Answer the following questions:
1. What is Ukiyo-E?
2. What is the traditional design and transfer of Ukiyo-E?
3. What is the contemporary design and transfer of Ukiyo-E?
4. Describe Atemashi-Bokashi.
5. Describe Itamokume-zuri.
6. Describe Ichimonji-Bokashi.
7. Describe one-sided gradation.
8. Describe Kimenkomi.
9. Describe Kira-suri.
10. Describe Shiomevi-zuni.
11. Describe wood gradation.
12. Describe traditional printing stages.
13. Describe contemporary printing stages.
14. What is the philosophy of Ukiyo-E?
15. Who is Keiji Shinohara and what are his contributions to Ukiyo-E?
16. View the gallery and compare and contrast traditonal with contemporary images of Ukiyo-E. Which do you prefer? Explain.