This assignment may be used along with the Giddens lecture on globalization. It can also work as an assignment in class to have people begin thinking about the impact of globalization. An initial viewing of the lecture can prime the students thinking followed by small group breakouts to answer the questions.
Type of Task:
Globalization, International Management, Technology, Politics
A general understanding of the concepts of politics, culture, technology and business would be useful.
1) To help students recognize the pervasive impact that globalization has on our day to day lives. 2) To reflect upon the impact of globalization beyond purely economic terms. To explore differences and similarities between two countries. 4) To understand how these differences may impact the management and operations of businesses in each country.
Text of Learning Exercise:
1) Think about your daily routine (in terms of the food, clothes, products and transportation that you utilize) and comment on how these things are impacted by
2) How is your daily work impacted by globalization?
3) What are some of the political, cultural and technological impacts of globalization as it relates to the operation of organizations?
4) Compare and contrast the political, cultural and economic systems of two countries. How are they similar? How are they different? How might these differences impact the role of a manager? How might these differences affect business operations?
5) In general, what types of skills does a global manager need to succeed?