Periodic Elements: Activity for Discovery
Each student will pick three elements [1 metal, 1 non-metal and 1 trans-metal]
and do a write-up assignment. For each element they must include the following
1. What are its main characteristics?
2. Where is it located on the periodic table?
3. Describe its discovery.
4. How is it useful?
5. What makes it unique?
6. Include a Lewis dot diagram and atomic structure.
Put the class into teams of three for group presentations. Each person must
contribute one of their elements to the presentation. Using whiteboards or
posters, have students put down the info that they feel is most important for
the whole class to know including differences and similarities among the three
elements. Presentations must include the whiteboard/poster and another visual
(physical, picture, example etc.).
2. Analyze the structure
3. Learn about characteristics of various elements
4. Make a connection to real life