The assignment requires students to write in the imperfect tense, as they discover the way things used to be in France. The task requires the gathering and processing of information on an old French tradition, custom or profession. Students will process the information and recount their findings using the appropriate tense.
Traditions, coutumes, legendes, personnages, terroirs, metiers, flore et faune.
Intermediate and Advanced French
Students should be familiar with the use of the imperfect tense to describe habitual past action. Students should be able to change verbs in the present to the imperfect tense.
Students will learn to express themselves using the imperfect tense. Students will learn historical and cultural information about France.
Text of Learning Exercise:
The purpose of this exercise is to get you thinknig about how things used to be and to compare them to how they are today. The appropriate verb tense for this in French is the imperfect, because it describes habitual past action. By reading some articles in Les Chroniques d'Autrefois, you will analyze the use of the imperfect. You will then use it yourself in a composition. In the meantime, you will learn some cultural history.
1. On the home page of La France Pittoresque, scroll down to Les Chroniques d'Autrefois.
2. Click on one of the categories (Traditions,
personnages ou metiers) and read an article about an old French tradition, personality, or profession.( Note: When you first click on the category, you will see the featured selection on the screen. Look to the navigation bar at the left to reveal other possible choices. Do not simply choose the featured selection by default, but select something that really interests you.)
3. Make a list with two columns, one labelled "Autrefois" and the other "Aujourd'hui". Draw facts from the article on how things used to be and put them in your Autrefois column. In the Aujourd'hui column, write your own comments on how things are different today.
4. Write a short composition, using the imperfect tense, describing the activities in the article. The emphasis should be on how things used to be.
5. Conclude by comparing the way things used to be to theway that they are today.
6. Follow your instructor's directions on delivery of the assignment.