Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool: 5, 5, 5 = 5
- Excellent source of tutorial information
- Tutorials promote understanding of basic concepts and contain more than
one approach to understan
ding the concept.
- Tutorial animations and problems lend themselves to the creation of additional
questions such as "Where do we go from here?"
- Interactive quizzes provide immediate reasons for correct and incorrect
- Video interviews with famous scientists provide motivation for student learning
- The animations represent an excellent collection of scientific reasoning
and logic, and focus on "how we know" not just "what we know." The animations
frequently begin with a famous scientist posing a problem to be solved. This
approach may make more of a connection between the results of a classical
experiment and the mind behind the reasoning. The constant flow of scientific
reasoning from unit to unit provides a clear and impressive thread of logic
showing how scientists realized that DNA is the genetic material.