The site provides a free management development program for use by non-profits either "as is" or modified to their particular needs.
The site identifies the following learning outcomes:
"Personal and Organizational Outcomes (knowledge, skills and abilities)
* Complete and careful deliberation about whether to start a nonprofit organization
* Guidance to register new nonprofit organization for incorporation, tax-exemption, etc.
* Broad understanding of their nonprofit, including structures, systems, culture and life cycle
* Basic understanding of the role of chief executive officer
* Basic skills needed to recruit the first board members and work with the new board
* Basic skills in management and leadership in order to plan, organize, lead and coordinate activities in their nonprofit
* Basic oversight and governance provided by resourced and trained board of directors
* Basic and integrated planning processes for strategic direction, program development and marketing and evaluation, financial management, fundraising, and staffing and supervision of employees and volunteers
* Substantial cost savings from continued access to free, complete, online materials for personal, professional and organizational development
Program Outputs (tangible results)
Learners in the program produce the following results:
* Job description of chief executive officer
* Management and leadership training plans
* Complete resources to equip board members
* Training plan and materials to train the board
* Strategic plan
* Operating and program budgets
* Program design plan
* Program marketing analysis (for each service)
* Public and media relations plan
* Sales plan
* Advertising and promotions plan
* Customer service plan
* Financial report and analysis
* Fundraising plan
* Policies for staffing and supervising employees and volunteers
* Volunteer management plan
* Program evaluation plans, including outcomes-based evaluations
* Assessments of practices in areas of legal, fundraising, financial management, staff and volunteer management, board practices, organizational planning, program planning and program evaluation"
Learning of knowledge, skills and abilities related to starting or running a non-profit organization. Development of appropriate documents and materials to support management of a non-profit.
Target Student Population:
Individuals or groups involved in non-profit management and those who need to learn about non-profit management. Undergraduate, graduate, executive/professional development.
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
Type of Material:
Training and reference materials
Could be used in undergraduate or graduate courses on management in the non-profit sector or in training programs aimed at supporting non-profit managers in skill development.
Evaluation and Observation
This site offers a completely self-contained set of training materials. The content is very practical and applied.
The site could benefit by including some of the latest scholarship on non-profit management.
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
The learning objectives for various section are clearly defined. The site allows for self-pacing and customized approaches to learning.
Providing a needs assessment or map of essential skills could be helpful.
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
Text is concise and easy to read. Some guidance is also provided in how to use the various modules. Suggested readings are also provided.Guidance is provided on how to use the materials as an individual or as an organization. Readings and exercises are provided in each module.