Weboscope provides teaching and learning resources for students and teachers interested in French language and francophone civilization. It provides audiovisual links to authentic and non authentic materials that can be used to enhance French language acquisition both in face-to-face and online environments.
Students will be able to
• develop their reading, writing, listening and speaking skills by exploiting non authentic and authentic materials from media, literature and music
• study and revise French grammar and vocabulary by completing interactive activities and games
• Discover and recognize the social, cultural and political features of francophone countries in Europe and Canada
• Learn and model effective strategies to teach French and incorporate culture into the instruction
Target Student Population:
Student teachers are the target audience according to the site.Graduate students specialized in French education will discover good practices and lesson plans while browsing this website.
Secondary and graduate students interested in French language studies and Francophone countries from Europe and Canada will find this material very helpful.
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
• Most of the materials require at least 2 to 3 years of French studies to fully appreciate and exploit them.
• There are also many links to pages for beginners. With some guidance, they will also be able to listen to interactive lessons or practice interactive grammatical and lexical activities.
Type of Material:
This material can be used
• in class for direct instruction and for developmental reading, listening and writing activities.
• for an online course in French language or in teacher education
• as homework with guidance to reinforce classroom instruction
• By individual learning French language and culture independently.
Browser, media player
Evaluation and Observation
• The material presented on this website fully covers the four competencies students should acquire at the end of any foreign language program ( writing, listening, speakind and reading)
• There are many authentic materials that can be use in French classroom for beginner through advanced learners
• for each competency, there are worksheet for students and instructors
• The site contains links to many other websites such as media ( TV, Print, Online, Radio),literary, countries and institutions and French course websites
There are more comprehensive sites of this nature on the web. Weboscope seems to have last been updated in late 2008, as verified at the time of this review.
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
•This website is a valid and relevant resource for the teaching of reading, writing, listening and speaking French in a face-to-face or online environment.
•Students and teachers using this material will easily acquire those skills through many interactive activities incorporating audio, video, images and text.
•This website is very well organized with a site that provides the students with an overview.
•Each section starts with an introduction centered on its goal, its potential users and the material included.
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
• The material is easy to navigate. Users can access the material by using the links on the left navigation bar, by clicking on bolded links directly from the introduction page or by referring to the website outline.
• Main pages are well presented without any distracting design elements. The materials are presented first followed by activities websites.
•There are some broken links
•Clear instructions would enhance the site. Most of the links are broad title such as radio, television, grammar and vocabulary.
There is no precise indication of what a student might do first.
Other Issues and Comments:
This site is clear and useful to students and student teachers, its target audience.