As the title states this tutorial teaches the user the differences between a general magazine and a scholarly journal. The tutorial is a video with images & graphics of journal covers to emphasize differences. The user will develop a deeper understanding of the types of journals that are available and be able to quickly, easily, and accurately identify the best resource for their research. The survey at the end of the tutorial is a good evaluation tool.
- Users will develop a deeper understanding of the types of journals that are available and be able to quickly, easily, and accurately identify the best resource for their research
- Users will be able to list reasons for choosing different journals by using the evaluation tools provided
Target Student Population:
- Students of all academic levels, especially those beginning their academic education (freshmen)
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- This is a flash tutorial not requiring advanced computer skills.
Type of Material:
In class, homework, individual, group, & other situations which require evaluation of resources.
Evaluation and Observation
- Content is clear & concise
- Tutorial is flexible and can be used in multiple situations
- Tutorial provides current & accurate information
- Can be used by multiple users and levels of students from beginners to those needing a refresher
- Is a self-contained unit that can be used with or without an assignment
- Tutorial is a good length for inclusion in PowerPoint, etc. (2.02 min)
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
- Can be used to describe required criteria for an assignment
- Tutorial is easy to include within a writing assignment
- Is very efficient and can be learned in a short time by the user
- It engages multiple senses through audio, video, images, & text
- It provides examples to help illustrate concepts
- Tutorial facilitates learning and learners will be able to achieve the learning goals
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
- Tutorial is easy to use
- It is engaging & visually appealing through the use of colorful images
- Information is presented in a way that is familiar to students
- It is self-contained & does not require instructions
- Terms/jargon is explained to the user
- Tutorial flows from one concept to another without and jarring disruptions or stops to confuse the user
Flash is needed to watch content.
Other Issues and Comments:
- Very good tutorial that provides a quick & easy way for users to learn the differences between general and professional journals