This short flash video specifically illustrates the differences between change in demand and change in quantity demanded. The material is an excellent resource to support a classroom discussion or to be used individual by students to study independently.
*Differentiate between the change in quantity demanded and change in demand.
*To gain an understanding that change in quantity demanded refers to the change in the amount of a commodity as a result of change in the price of it.
*To gain an understanding that change in demand means changes in demand due to the change in the factors other than price.
Target Student Population:
High school or undergraduate college student.
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
Basic computer skills and access to the Internet and micro-economics course
Type of Material:
Web-based flash presentation
The video can be used as a resource to support student learning and serve as a lesson to visually depict the difference between the change in demand and change in quantity demanded.
Internet Explorer 8 or the equivalent Firefox browser will suffice. Updated Flash Player
Evaluation and Observation
• Provides an explanation of the demand and the change in quantities demanded and the impact
• Information is easy to read and simplistically written to demonstrate the difference effects on the demand curve.
• Because of semantics or misunderstanding students can often confuse the concept of change in quantity demanded with change in demand. For this reason it would be an improvement to include in the video presentation a few sample questions to stimulate thinking on the subject and to show students how the models can be used in the real world. For example, maybe a question and or discussion of how will an increase in the price of gasoline affect the price and quantity of SUV's sold. Another idea might be to ask the question about products where prices have changed recently and then discuss and speculate on what demand factors might have been responsible for the change in price. Adding information to the video to help students start off thinking about practical applications will support students and encourage them to practice using models.
• The presentation had no summary to reflect and review what has been presented and the importance of material.
• Would was connected to real world situation or action, would make explanation more relative to students
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
• Provided a logic approach to the explanation and description of demand and changes to demand theory
• Demonstrated the effects of increases and decreases in demand in a graph format.
• Did not find an indication of what perquisite knowledge would be required for this presentation
• Did not connect the theory of demand and quantity changes of demand effects to any other theory
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
• Website was easy to connect to and easy to maneuver on the page
• Presentation allows viewer to progress or move backward at their own pace
• Provided only minimal explanation of the focus of the presentation, i.e., why is demand and the explanation of demand quantity change is important in real-world scenario
• The presentation was definitional and needed a real-world connection
Other Issues and Comments:
This is tutorial Flash presentation that explained and defines demand and the effects changes in quantity have on demand.