This is a video illustrating graphically the features and characteristics of demand function in microeconomics. The presentation takes the learner through several scenarios using traditional graphs and formulas to introduce the important variables that influence the quantity of a good that a buyer is willing and able to purchase. The presentation could be useful for students to view to conjunction with a lecture on the subject.
* To improve understanding of the effects of the role of price and quantity on the demand function and that they are inversely related.
* To gain an understanding of the changes in variables and how each variable will move supply or demand left or to the right but such changes do not change the slope of the demand functions.
Target Student Population:
High School grade 12 and undergraduate college students.
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
Basic computer skills and access to the Internet and foundational micro-economics course
Type of Material:
Web-based Quicktime presentation
The presentation can be used to supplement a lecture on demand function and what influences price and quantity of a good.
Internet Explorer 8 or the equivalent Firefox browser will suffice. Quicktime or Flash Player is required. Updated Flash Player
Evaluation and Observation
• Provides an explanation of the demand and the functions or functionality of demand
• Information written to demonstrate the difference effects on the demand, demand schedule, and demand curve.
• The material is presented graphically to show different effects of quantity and price on a good.
• It is missing an introduction and objectives at the beginning of the presentation which would be useful for a student learning the material for the first time.
• The presentation had no summary to reflect and review what has been presented and the importance of material.
• Would like to see presentation connected to real world situation or action, would make explanation more relative to students
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
• The material demonstrates the effect of different variables on price and quantity changes of a good which is a basic economic reality that becomes an important tool for students to become better consumers, savers, investors, members of the workforce, and for some become economic scholars and experts.
• Provided a logic approach to the explanation and description of demand, demand curve and demand scheduling.
• Demonstrated the effects of increases and decreases in demand on the demand curve in a graph format.
• Did not find an indication of what perquisite knowledge would be required for this presentation
• Students have varying learning styles that need to be considered when designing a lesson. As teachers we are challenged to empower students to develop the art of retention and using knowledge. The presentation would be greatly improved if it included the use of real data and scenarios that didn't rely totally on formulas and equations. To present the information both ways would stimulate classroom fodder for examination, discussion, and analysis of how the demand function works in the real world.
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
• Website was easy to connect to and easy to maneuver on the page
• Presentation allows viewer to progress or move backward at their own pace
• Provided only minimal explanation of the focus of the presentation, i.e., why is demand and the explanation of demand quantity change is important in real-world scenario
• Lacked a summary of what the student learned and relationship to micro-economics theory and concepts
Other Issues and Comments:
This is tutorial Quicktime/Flash presentation that explained, provided descriptions, and defines demand and the effects changes in quantity have on demand.