This is a website that offers reference material such as articles and newsletters on topics such as remote management, work style differences, and organizational versus national culture. There are additional resource links offered that provide information on global outsourcing, organizations, and country specific information.
The major learning goals are to provide students and business professionals with information and assistance in the areas of business strategy development, negotiation, project management, team development, coaching, organizational learning and development, and international and cross-cultural business competencies.
Target Student Population:
Business students; international focus
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
No prerequisite knowledge or skills are identified; however, it would be helpful for students/users to have a foundational understanding/knowledge or business/leadership.
Type of Material:
Reference material including articles on various topics of international interest.Additional links to areas such as global outsourcing, organizations, and country specific information.
Recommended uses include research, in class homework, individual/group activities, and supporting lecture with resources. These articles and additional resource features (quizzes and self-assessments) could also be used in training workshops for current business professionals.
• Internet Explorer (IE) version 8, Firefox (version 11). These were both used to access the material (the material website supports these browsers as well as Google Chrome).
• Adobe Reader/Flash (needed to additional in-text links leading to other forms/formats of media)
Evaluation and Observation
• The collection of articles and newsletters contains clear, concise, relatable information based on past and present relatable situations as highlighted by the website and services offered.
• I like the list of resources made available in the Useful Links section as these are very helpful and relate directly to the services that are offered by this consulting team.
• The collections of articles are excellent and very useful not only in the business arena but also in the academic arena as education begins to reach out globally.
• The consultants are very experienced in their discipline and provide very relative, current information and relationships directly related to the material.
There is a lot available on this site, so the student needs to know what to look for in terms of topics.
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
The modules focus on competencies in the areas of global business, international and cross-cultural business and negotiations. The orientation is more towards consulting, however students will still find the articles and other resources of interest. The articles are thoughtful and organized in a manner that can be used for teaching purposes.
• The purpose of the site is to assist clients with their competencies in the areas of global business, international and cross-cultural business and negotiations and while it is understood this site is also a business in consulting, the materials that are provide (articles, newsletters, and quizzes) are very helpful to teachers and business professionals in providing some expert information relative to the topics.
• The articles are assembled in a manner that builds upon prior concepts and these articles are presented in a format that users/readers can see clear relationships between the materials and event/situations used to support the content.
• The material does facilitate learning and learners will be able to identify the learning goals.
• I like the use of the quizzes (Negotiations and Culture) to identify the perquisite knowledge of the user.
Some guidance is necessary to make this module fit into a class plan.
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
• I found the site very easy to use and easy to navigate.
• I like the layout of the website, the ease of maneuvering through the tabs/links that are made available and that each tab also contains the contents on the left margin and highlights to show the user where they are or where they have been.
• The interactive quizzes are great for identifying prerequisite knowledge (are previously noted) but interesting to identify what areas the user needs more assistance with and/or identifies which articles or Useful Links might be more beneficial to the user.
Most of the links in the site work. There were a few though that seemed to not connect to the correct materials.
Other Issues and Comments:
Tthe ease of the design and ability to move from one article to the next and from one section/tab to the next made this site useful. The collection of articles to be, overall, of high quality and to be very usable, relatable, and beneficial for students as well as business professionals.