Secondary Music Methods
This course examines general principles in teaching music at the High School, and explores a variety of methods appropriate for use with children of varying levels of ability in music at the secondary level. It also provides an introduction to the assessment of learning music at the secondary level.
Pedagogical Approach & Learning Outcomes
Collaborative and integrative pedagogical approach.
At the end of the course the students will be able to ·
- Reflect on and share a beginning philosophy of music teaching.
- Demonstrate competence in transforming personal knowledge of content into informed instructions through the basic principles that govern student learning.
- Employ a range of methods and procedures which can be used in teaching ·
- Anticipate the learners’ perspective on the difficulties attendant on learning ·
- Demonstrate skills in unit and lesson planning appropriate to music teaching
- Develop skills in teaching micro-teaching ·
- Reflect on and refine methods of instruction and assessment ·
- Develop a personal strategy for classroom management ·
- Demonstrate an awareness of the knowledge, skills, and disposition that effective music teachers should possess ·
- Identify the profiles of the (CSEC) High School Syllabus and give an overview of the examination requirements ·
- Identify and analyze pieces from at least two of the set works of the (CSEC) High School syllabus ·
- Suggest ways to assist students in preparation for the different profiles of the (CSEC) High School syllabus
Assessment & Other Information
Participation and Coursework 20%
Portfolio of Resources 20%
Curriculum Review or Project 20%
Lesson Plans and Units 15% Micro Teaching & Self Evaluation 25%
We are attempting to teach this class in a mixed modality, both online and in-person where possible.
Virtual Instrument Museum (Presentation)
Music Education at the Tipping Point (Reference Material)
Music and the Child: (Open (Access) Textbook)
OnMusic Dictionary (Reference Material)
Instruction and Educational Assistance (Quiz/Test)
Texas School Music Project (Collection)
Cyberkidz educational games (Collection)
Learn Spanish through music (Drill and Practice)
Resources: Recorders (Reference Material)
Music Theory for Digital Audio Workstation (Open (Access) Textbook)