Skills & Interests
Academic Support Services / Library and Information Services / Information and Communication Technology Literacy / Internet Searching and Evaluation
My primary area of interest is the level of health information literacy held by health care professionals. Of particular interest to me is how those individuals decide what information to apply within their practice. While similar questions have been explored in the consumer population, education for and research on the health information evaluation skills of health care providers has not received a great deal of emphasis. While health care professionals may be quite able to competently evaluate information provided in non-professional resources, information provided through traditional peer-reviewed resources may offer a much larger challenge in their evaluation process.
- Medical Library Association
Member 08/2008 – 10/2008
- MSLS Library Science (05/2003)
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BA English / Professional Writing (05/1997)
Western Carolina University
- Hallyburton A, St. John B.. (January 2009). tips: Nurses working with librarians. in Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing.
- Hallyburton A, Kolenbrander N, Robertson C.. (2008 Jan-Feb). College health professionals and academic librarians: collaboration for student health. in Journal of American College Health. (56).
- Mueller IL, Teslow M, Hallyburton A.. (2007 Apr). A public life. Developing a consumer information role in HIM. in Journal of AHIMA. (78).
Honors & Awards
- J. Dale Pounds Award (05/2008)
Presented by the Department of Physical Therapy, Western Carolina University
- Certificate of Appreciation for Outstanding Service (05/2005)
Presented by the Department of Health Sciences, Western Carolina University.
- Carnegie Scholarship (08/2001)
School of Information and Library Science, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.
- "Filling in the gaps: how to find what you didnt already know about the opposite sex.", 03/26/2008
Buchanan H, Hallyburton A, Martin H, Metcalf S, Voskuil B. "Filling in the gaps: how to find what you didnt already know about the opposite sex." Western Carolina University Gender Research Conference, Cullowhee, North Carolina, March 2008.
- Writing and editing strategies for compliance certification., 12/17/2007
Gastle B, Hallyburton A. Writing and editing strategies for compliance certification. Commission on Colleges, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, December 2007.
- Surviving SACS: the librarians role in reaccreditation., 10/15/2007
Buchanan H, Burton C, Hallyburton A, Hitchcock E. Surviving SACS: the librarians role in reaccreditation. North Carolina Library Association (NCLA), Annual Conference, Hickory, North Carolina, October 2007.
- Reference Librarian / Health Sciences Liaison (07/2004 – Current) Hunter Library, Western Carolina University
- Web Librarian (05/2003 – 07/2004) CODA Research, Inc.
- Graduate Library Intern (07/2002 – 05/2003) National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences Library