Members from Esther’s institution
Materials from Esther’s discipline
Members in Esther’s discipline
Skills & Interests
Education / TeacherEd / Teaching Methods
Teach librarians how to design, develop, teach, assess and revise instruction, including F2F, online, and other formats.
Arts / Fiber
Amateur knitter - see Pinterest Board "Knitting Projects": http://www.pinterest.com/esthergrassian/knitting-projects/
Reference and information literacy instruction (information researching and critical thinking about information research tools and materials)
- American Library Association
Member 09/1981 – Current
- American Library Association, Association of College & Research Libraries, Instruction Section
Chair 09/1995 – 09/1996
- MLS Library & Information Science (06/1969)
- BA Hebrew (06/1967)
- Grassian, Esther S. & Kaplowitz, Joan R.. (2009). Information Literacy Instruction: Theory and Practice (2d ed.). Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc..
- Grassian, Esther S. & Kaplowitz, Joan R.. (2005). Learning to Lead and Manage Information Literacy Instruction. Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc..
- Grassian, Esther S. & Kaplowitz, Joan R.. (2001). Information Literacy Instruction: Theory and Practice. Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc..
Information Literacy Instruction: Theory and Technique
- UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies, Dept. of Information Studies – Information Literacy
- By the end of this (4-unit) course graduate students (MLIS and Ph.D.) will be able to identify and analyze information literacy instructional needs, design, implement, and evaluate appropriate instructional responses, and make revisions as necessary.
FIAT LUX: "How to Stop Just Googling... & Find the Really Good Stuff!"
- UCLA Honors Collegium – Information Literacy
- I taught this 1-unit, Quarter-long undergraduate course 5 times, 2005-2010
Information Literacy & Researching Skills
- UCLA English Composition – Information Literacy
- Information Literacy - I taught this 1-unit undergraduate course each Quarter from Winter 2003 through Winter 2005.
- Speaking level: Superior
- Reading level: Superior
- Speaking level: Beginner
- Reading level: Intermediate
Honors & Awards
- Distinguished Alumni Award (05/2015)
UCLA Department of Information Studies: "In recognition of her outstanding contributions and achievements in the field of Library Sciences."
- Miriam Dudley Instruction Librarian Award (ALA ACRL Instruction Section) (07/2014)
...recognizes a librarian who has made an especially significant contribution to advancement of instruction in a college or research library.... award honors Miriam Dudley, whose pioneering efforts in... bibliographic instruction... http://goo.gl/Y2vgZj
- Librarian, Emeritus (06/2011)
UCLA Academic Senate and Chancellor's designation requiring special career review and support by UCLA Library administration
- The Case of the Missing Librarians, 04/23/2014
Keynote - Alabama Library Association Conference
- How to Identify and Analyze Instructional Problems, 10/23/2013
Workshop - ECIL (European Conference on Information Literacy)- Istanbul, Turkey
- Occupy Their Minds! The Politics of Information Literacy, 06/07/2012
Keynote - LOEX of the West - Burbank, California
- Adjunct Lecturer (part-time) (09/1984 – Current) UCLA Information Studies Deparment
- Adjunct Librarian (part-time) (02/2015 – Current) Los Angeles Pierece College