Health Sciences Community Portal
Welcome – From the Editor
Welcome to the MERLOT Health Sciences Portal, an educational resource for health professionals. You are invited to join MERLOT―it's free―and contribute to this growing community of health professionals, health professional educators, and students by using the learning materials, submitting your own modules and assignments for evaluation, and learning ideas to help you learn as well as teach in a variety of settings.
If you have any questions, contact the Editor of the Health Sciences Editorial Board,
Nancyruth Leibold, Health Sciences Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Jamie Murphy's OER textbook for Transitions to Professional Nursing is featured in the Health Sciences showcase. The text is for students transitioning from an associate degree education to a baccalaureate degree. Content includes a broad overview of the nursing profession, the role of accrediting and professional organizations with a strong focus on the American Nurses Association’s foundational documents. The competencies of the Standards of Professional Practice and the Code of Ethics are weaved throughout the text.
Topics covered in this text include professional nursing practice, baccalaureate education, healthcare in the 21st century, autonomy and accountability, nursing philosophy, professional development, communication, interprofessional collaboration, critical thinking, introduction to evidence-based practice, and nursing leadership and theory.
Core 2.5: Child Maltreatment Identification, Part 1 | OER Commons
This training provides participants with the skills to recognize factors that will assist them in accurately identifying...
The Health Care Delivery System: The US and Worldwide
This lesson looks at the terms health care delivery system and universal health care and what each means. It also...
What Is Managed Care? - Definition, History & Systems - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com
This healthcare lesson will define managed care in an understandable format, providing a brief history and giving a...
History of the U.S. Healthcare System
History of the U.S. Healthcare System
History of Hospitals
History of Hospitals
Foundations of Addiction Studies
Addiction is a concept that has been around for hundreds of years, but we still struggle to define and understand the...
Glossary A-Z; Our NHS People
Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Glossary
Introduction to the Healthcare System
Hospitals, clinic and community health agencies can be very different from other work environments. Healthcare systems...
Alliance of Nurses for Healthy Environments
We are in a new dawn regarding environmental health in the US and, in fact, globally. The public awareness and interest...
How To Understand U.S. Healthcare? Follow The Money | Dr. Jonathan Burroughs | TEDxWolfeboro
consultant Dr. Jonathan Burroughs suggests playing a game of "follow the money." He asserts that whenever healthcare...
Chapter 3: Paying for Health Services
Sample book chapter
Intro to Health Care
Confused about the U.S. health care system? This introduction uses one patient as an example to illustrate how money...
Resources to Support the Health and Well-Being of Clinicians During COVID-19 - National Academy of Medicine
Resources that offer more information on how to support the health and well-being of clinicians during public health...
A Review of Field Experiments on the Effect of Forest Bathing on Anxiety and Heart Rate Variability
Many studies have explored the physiological and psychological benefits of the Japanese nature therapy practice of...
Medical empirical research on forest bathing (Shinrin-yoku): a systematic review
Aims: This study focused on the newest evidence of the relationship between forest environmental exposure and human...
Effects of forest bathing on prehypertensive and hypertensive adults: a review of the literature
The aim in this literature review was (1) to explore the physiologically and psychologically therapeutic benefits of...
Effects of Short Forest Bathing Program on Autonomic Nervous System Activity and Mood States in Middle-Aged and Elderly Individuals
Abstract: The present study investigated changes in autonomic nervous system activity and emotions after a short (2 h)...
How Should Forests Be Characterized in Regard to Human Health? Evidence from Existing Literature
Abstract: The potential of forests as a source of health has been addressed by the scientific community and is now being...
Moral distress in critical care nursing: The state of the science - PubMed
Providing compassionate care is a professional nursing value and an inability to meet this goal due to moral distress may...
Compassion Fatigue: Symptoms & Treatments | Study.com
In this lesson, we are going to look at a condition affecting many healthcare professionals. Information about the...
You are contagious | Vanessa Van Edwards | TEDxLondon
Vanessa reveals that our behaviour, from hand gestures to how we say 'hello', changes the way others perceive our...
Everything around them is still there, dealing with sudden loss | Marieke Poelmann | TEDxUtrecht
In 2010 Marieke Poelmann, 22 at the time, suddenly lost her parents as a result of a plane crash. It took her several...
How to turn loss into inspiration | George Kohlrieser | TEDxLausanne
Everybody goes through losses, big and small - the loss of a job, the loss of a home, or even the loss of a loved one....
MORAL DISTRESS (NURSES): INTERVENTIONS IN CRITICAL CARE SETTINGS
Arrticle on nursisng burnout
Hannah HenryOld Dominion University
Tiffany DelageOld Dominion University
Jennifer WidgetUniversity of Brazil
Jaide BurnetteOld Dominion University
Shannon BrownUniversity at Buffalo
Chelsea AtkinsEast Carolina University
Alicia Charles-StuartCollege of Science Technology and Applied Arts of Trinidad and Tobago
Maison BramelLincoln University of Missouri
Andrea LowmanNotre Dame Preparatory School
Amanda GravesEast Carolina University
Andrea ChuteGrant MacEwan University
Imam AryaPasundan University
Evolutis HealthEvolutis Health
Barbara HarrisAbilene Christian University
Nikki VisveshwaraFresno City College
Nicole PekarekWinston-Salem State University
Kimberly Stacy Vargas Rodríguezfundación universitaria del área andina
Johanna AnguloJohanna Angulo
Teri SmitsVincennes University
Stephiya SabuEast Carolina University
Carolyn BaileyDelta State University
Courtney KlingerEast Carolina University
Melanie WeimerUniversity of Saskatchewan
Materials by Discipline
- Audiology (4)
- Cancer (477)
- Cardiology (207)
- Dentistry (59)
- Dermatology (38)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (70)
- Endocrinology (102)
- Epidemiology (92)
- Exercise Science (39)
- Gastroenterology (126)
- Genetics and Infectious Disease (256)
- Geriatrics (64)
- Healthcare Administration (60)
- Hematology (92)
- Internal Medicine (71)
- Medical Laboratory Technology (51)
- Mental Health (560)
- Nephrology (102)
- Neurology (328)
- Nursing Education (193)
- Nursing (1099)
- Nutrition (178)
- OB and Gyn (254)
- Ophthalmology (42)
- Orthopedics (131)
- Other (274)
- Pathology (37)
- Pediatrics (160)
- Pharmacy (143)
- Preventive Medicine (31)
- Public Health (507)
- Pulmonary Medicine (52)
- Radiology (74)
- Rheumatology (7)
- Sports Medicine (26)
- Surgery (220)
- Therapeutics (35)
- Toxicology (20)
- Veterinary Medicine (34)
Journals & Publications
- The American Nurse
- Nursing Management
- The Nurse Practitioner
- JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of Dental Hygiene
- Journal of the American Dental Association
- Online Journal of Nursing Informatics
- Online Journal of Issues in Nursing
- American Society of Health SystemsPharmacist (ASHP)
- American College of Clinical Pharmacy(ACCP)
- American Society of ConsultantPharmacists (ASCP)
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- PLOS (Public Library of Science)
- Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism
- Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine
- European Journal of Sport Science
- International Journal of Epidemiology
- International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport
- International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance
- Journal of Applied Psychology
- Journal of Athletic Training
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition
- Journal of Physiology
- Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Journal of Sport Management
- Journal of Sport Rehabilitation
- Journal of Sports Sciences
- Journal of Applied Physiology
- American Holistic Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
Health Sciences on the Web
Simone Biles on being initially resistant to therapy: 'I didn't talk at all'
Jun 15, 2021 05:00 AM PDT
Community Health and Dental Care recognized for promoting pediatric primary care
Jun 14, 2021 11:33 PM PDT
Primary Voters Must Consider Public Health in the Voting Booth
Jun 14, 2021 10:15 PM PDT
Nurse practitioner offers to help pay for repainting of woman's car vandalized with homophobic slur
Jun 14, 2021 07:54 PM PDT
Public health: No evidence COVID vaccine affects fertility
Jun 14, 2021 07:15 PM PDT
$28M from Coronavirus grant may fund 6 Rutherford County public health & safety buildings
Jun 14, 2021 06:52 PM PDT
Illinois public health administrator urges residents near chemical fire to wear a mask and not pick ...
Jun 14, 2021 06:33 PM PDT
COVID-19 public health efforts linked to dramatic decline in COPD hospitalizations
Jun 14, 2021 06:18 PM PDT
2021 Public Health Awardees for Grassroot Initiatives to Address Health Disparities
Jun 14, 2021 05:11 PM PDT
Mariposa County Public Health Reports Three New Positive COVID Cases for a Total of 464 ...
Jun 14, 2021 04:15 PM PDT
eMonarcHER to Examine Abemaciclib Plus Adjuvant Endocrine Therapy in HER2+ Early Breast ...
Jun 14, 2021 04:02 PM PDT
Santa Barbara County's COVID-19 Public Health Order Ends Monday; State Rules In Effect Tuesday
Jun 14, 2021 03:18 PM PDT
Yet another failure in Biogen's gene therapy program leaves no dent in stock price in wake of ...
Jun 14, 2021 02:56 PM PDT
Public Health reports 13 new Kern COVID-19 cases
Jun 14, 2021 02:45 PM PDT
Taking an upstream approach to preventing LGBTQ youth cannabis use | Public Health Insider
Jun 14, 2021 02:22 PM PDT
Healthcare Antitrust Update: Key Antitrust Takeaways for Physician Groups
Jun 14, 2021 02:11 PM PDT
Ko Is Appointed Nooyi Professor of Public Health
Jun 14, 2021 01:59 PM PDT
Mountain View slow-walks reopening as California lifts COVID-19 public health restrictions
Jun 14, 2021 01:51 PM PDT
Whitmer bans state, federal funding for conversion therapy on minors
Jun 14, 2021 01:37 PM PDT
Health Sciences on Twitter
- The spectrum of potential hazards in physical activity is broad. It includes #musculoskeletalinjuries, traumatic… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…28 minutes ago | Human_Kinetics
- #ArticlesInPress: HuR Brings the Heat - Linking Adipose Tissue to Cardiac Dysfunction
Michael E Hall and Rodney Kip… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…38 minutes ago | ajpheartcirc
- We hope you've heard that Medicaid managed-care company Centene will repay Ohio $88 million it pilfered from the st… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…38 minutes ago | pharmacists
- Double row rotator cuff techniques: do they place too much strain on the tendon medial to the repair?… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…48 minutes ago | AJSM_SportsMed
- Dental practices should create a workplace environment that encourages employees to think before they act, such as… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | DentistryToday
- COVID-19 and the golden years. #COVID19 #OlderAdults #Telehealth
ow.ly/oceH50FaQLO https://t.co/XiQp5nsCSs, photo: pic.twitter.com/XiQp5nsCSs1 hour ago | NursPrac_online
- The June 2021 AMA Special Meeting of the House of Delegates is well underway! We've highlighted 10 notable issues t… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | AmerMedicalAssn
- Study by Caldwell et al. finds that when mice lacking #adiponectin are subjected to the physiological stress of… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | ajpheartcirc
- #ArticleInPress: “Short term intensified training temporarily impairs mitochondrial respiratory capacity in elite e… twitter.com/i/web/status/1…1 hour ago | japplphysiol
- Congratulations to @jabraham for being elected to AMA's Council on Constitution and Bylaws! #AMAmtg https://t.co/zvRqj8DJxg, photo: pic.twitter.com/zvRqj8DJxg1 hour ago | AmerMedicalAssn