Well-Tempered Clavier: Module 20
Listening and reading exercise on fugue 20 (A minor) of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in performance by Edward Parmentier on the harpsichord. Includes online assessment.
- Listen to the A minor fugue at:
- Read the narrative, at the end of which you'll find a link to the online assessment. The narrative is available in English and Spanish.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- Topics: melodic inversion, stretto, canon, counterexposition, design, Gerhardt Niedt, Lutheranism, Bach symbols, S.D.G. and J.N.J.
- Key concepts: Longest fugue in WTC I has the most iterations of subject, half inverted; symbolism of 14 canonic stretti; fugue compared to kinetic sculpture; theological implications of purposefulness and design; Soli Deo Gloriaafter WTC I.
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page, then click the "Send to Instructor" button.