Well-Tempered Clavier: Module 4
Listening and reading exercise on fugue 4 (C-sharp minor) of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in performance by David Korevaar on the piano. Includes online assessment.
- Listen to the C-sharp minor fugue at: http://bach.nau.edu/clavier/nature/fugues/Fugue04.html.
- Read the narrative, at the end of which you'll find a link to the online assessment. The narrative is available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- Topics: Lutheranism, chiasmus, lamento, triple fugue, Bach symbols, retrogradation, melodic inversion, passion music
- Key concepts: Shortest subject in WTC is chiastic; triple fugue is passion music with which artist identified by authorial inclusion; BACH motive/numbers/monogram
- David Korevaar's performance notes at: http://www2.nau.edu/tas3/wtc/i04k.pdf.