Well-Tempered Clavier: Module 3
Listening and reading exercise on fugue 3 (C-sharp major) of JS Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier in performance by David Korevaar on the piano. Includes online assessment.
- Listen to the C-sharp major fugue at:
- Read the narrative, at the end of which you'll find a link to the online assessment. The narrative is available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Browser Requires Adobe Flash.
- Topics: structure of subject, countersubject, melodic inversion, sequence, enharmonicism, well-tempered, re-exposition
- Key concepts: Disjunct subject outlines compound melody; countersubject melodically inverted; sequence likened to engine; enharmonics justified; well-tempered intonation defined; exposition repeated at conclusion of fugue; similarity of fugue to Italian concerto grosso.
- David Korevaar's performance notes at:
- Answer the ten questions at:
- Enter your name and instructor's email at the top of the page, then click the "Send to Instructor" button.