Scientific inquiry: learning how to ask the right question
In-class worksheet: practice makes perfect.
Note: The only wrong answer on this assignment is a blank space.
Exercise 1: Art as Science
a. What questions come to your mind when you look at this painting? (try to come up with 3 questions)
b. Assess your own questions. Are these questions more analytical or self-reflective?
Exercise 2: Scientific Images
For the following images please think about the following:
1. Do you know what this image represents?
2. What questions come to mind when you look at this image?
Exercise 3: Discussion and analysis of question quality.
Using questions generated from previous quizzes we will discuss the quality and category of each of these questions
Homework Assignment: Practice with Podcasting.
Instructions: Listen to the 8 min podcast and answer the following questions.
Use the criteria we talked about in class to develop your questions.
1. What is the first scientific question that comes into you mind about this podcast?
2. Does the data support the conclusions?
3. What are the missing pieces that I haven’t told you?
4. Knowing the research objective what should the next experiment be?