Learning Exercise: The Buggy Palace Sales Forecasting Exercise
The assignment teaches how to apply simple forecasting techniques: naive forecast, moving average, and exponential smoothing. The students are required to do one of this forecasts manually and then put the result on computer. The computer compares the student's result with the correct one and gives the feedback to the student. If the student's result is not correct, he/she is required to repeat one more time. This assignment can be used to improve student skills in developing simple forecasts. It may be applied in the several undergraduate courses, specifically in an introductory course in Management Science, Quantitative Business Methods, Operations Management, and Marketing/Sales.
Course: Management Science, Quantitative Business Methods, Operations Management, Marketing/Sales Management
Date Last Modified:
- Reserve the computer lab for the class.
- Before using the exercise, explain in class the following
forecasting techniques: naive forecast, moving average, and exponential smoothing.
- Explain the objectives and rules of the exercise. Show an
example on how to use the exercise.
- Give the students about 15-20 minutes for using the
- Monitor students' performance and help them to proceed
with the exercise.
- Discuss with the students the results of their work and
their perception about the online exercise.
- College Upper Div Major