- Peer Review: “15.311 Organizational Processes | Sloan School of Management”
15.311 Organizational Processes | Sloan School of Management
- Jan 3, 2019 by Business
Organizational Processes enhances students' ability to take effective action in complex organizational settings by providing the analytic tools needed to analyze, manage, and lead the organizations of the future. Emphasis is placed on the importance of the organizational context in influencing which individual styles and skills are effective.
The subject centers on three complementary perspectives, or "lenses", on an organization: political, cultural, and strategic design.
Students enrolled in this class are also jointly enrolled in 15.328, Team Project, in order to complete a field study of an organizational change initiative.
Organizational Processes also operates in conjunction with 15.280, Communication for Managers, by sharing certain assignments and holding some joint classes.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
This can be used as a course, it can also be used to provide supplemental material and activities for any related course who wants to add specific information about organizational processes. It is useful in class for lecture and discussion, for homework, and at the individual or team level.
- Technical Requirements:
Adobe Reader 18.011.20036 Java 8, update 91 Mozilla Firefox 58.0.2 Current PowerPoint viewer
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
The major learning goal is related to their MBA course
Students will develop the ability to take effective actions and decisions in organizational settings
Students will use the analytic tools needed to analyze, manage, and lead the organizations of the future.
- Target Student Population:
This is intended to be graduate level because it is part of an MBA program.However, this can be useful for personal development by any individual interested in organizational processes.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- For the content, a minimum of an undergraduate business major or minor is recommended.
- Users must be able to navigate in a browser, click on live links, download materials, read power points and PDF files.
- The material is very flexible and easy to understand.
- Provides basic inputs
- Provides detailed overview of the material with quiz to test and upgrade learners knowledge.
- Design is modular and is effective which helps is multiple user groups.
- Because the focus is on organizational processes, this draws from many different areas for the readings, the assignments and the activities.
- The presentations, visual aids, and other materials support the different aspects of organizational processes which include but are not limited to ethics, decision-making, hiring, organizational structure, power and authority and intercultural communication.
- Appropriate research and material should be given in a broader perspective.
- Was developed in 2003 and as such is not going to include any current or relevant information that has been identified more recently.
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
- Very effective analytical and teaching tool
- Material is provided in such a way that students and teachers can easily navigate and learn with given concepts and get an idea about course.
- Identifies prerequisite knowledge by identifying which courses are related to this course.
- The emphasis is on experiential, the activities and cases support this.
- The course moves progressively through the concepts and the reading and activities emphasize the relationship between the concepts.
- Illustration of the concepts needs to be made more effective. Single context is given it can be elaborated on the basis of multiple contexts taking into view the broader international audience with situational based analysis.
- Learning objectives are not explicitly stated but can be determined to some extent based on the activities and the readings.
- Because this is taught in a traditional classroom, users in a virtual classroom may have some limits to what can be used or replicated.
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
- Very easy to navigate
- Recalls quiz is given it is very effective.
- Uses very effective course shots.
- Students get to understand how to get information and use as a tool. examples are good.
- Vocabulary meaning is also given it is really effective.
- Key concepts are explained in a very nice way and students can recall the same easily.
- The variety of activities and readings are important in demonstrating how the processes impact all aspects in an organization.
- For this course, the instructions are clear and the content is engaging with the help of the videos.
- Examples can be updated
- The use of older version it needs to be updated.
- There is a concern around ease of use because this was an “in class”, traditional course that had material available on the Internet. For anyone using this in a virtual situation it may not offer the same opportunities because it may be difficult to replicate some areas.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Basically this is a very good tutorial both in terms of students and teachers which gives insights to business.
- Helps to get authenticated information on business based in the United States.
- The age of this course needs to be taken into consideration when using the content, but there is a good deal of useful information about organizations from a process perspective.
- Creative Commons: