Feb 20, 2003
- This is an excellent site for learning and/or reviewing the sound system of
French. There are captivating examples and interactive exercises that present
and practice sounds, spelling, and intonation in French. Both the French and
international phonetic alphabets are included as well as sound discrimination
exercises, and games to reinforce the sound system of French. There are numerous
opportunities for learners to access model pronunciations throughout. There is
also a forum for French teachers who wish to discuss phonetics and a listserve
for the site.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- These exercises can be used in the classroom or independently. The author
recommends that independent learners do the exercises in the order that they
are presented in on the site.
- Technical Requirements:
- Flash and an audio player to play sound files
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- Learn and/or review the sound system of French. Students will improve their
French pronunciation and their ability to discriminate between different sounds.
- Target Student Population:
- There are exercises appropriate for all levels of French learners.
- This is a high quality site that will both engage beginning learners of French
and those in need of a review of the language's sound system. It is beautifully
constructed with exercises and activities that are fun and informative. The
crisp audio and corresponding graphics combine to provide an effective teaching
- These presentations and interactive activities could be projected and used
effectively in a classroom context, or assignments could be made for independent
work. Learners can either practice online and or print pdf files on the
presentations for study away from the computer. The male and female voices are
easy to understand. Whether in or out of the classroom, students will find the
site an easy and engaging way to learn and reinforce the sound system of French.
- Phonetique is extremely easy to navigate and to use.Each of the activities has
scoring, the method for which is excellent. Practice activities offer multiple
attempts and access to audio cues. The site is beautifully designed with
delightful graphics and excellent audio quality.
- Creative Commons: