“Resume Quiz for Human Resource Professionals”
Resume Quiz for Human Resource Professionals
Mar 13, 2003
- This quiz/tutorial is designed to help individuals seeking employment in the
human resources field to learn key essentials for creating a winning resume. The
author, Kim Isaacs, is a nationally certified resume writer. This is a very
robust yet commercial site sponsored by Monster.com that provides one stop
shopping for anything you wanted to know about resume writing but didn?t know
who to ask.
It is easy to navigate with links organized in two key areas: The Resume and
Resources. Subcategories under resumes included tips on components in a resume,
role of cover letters and more, resume dilemmas (those little annoying
questions that beg you to answer but are questionable as to whether you should),
some dos and don?ts. Two particularly interesting options: the sample link
that showed examples of traditional resumes for popular job choices; and the
before and after resume makeovers.
The section on resources covered a lot of ground but one really good domain that
was linked to this site dealt with diversity insights. Another key feature where
I spent most of my time was on resume quizzes which were broken down by career
options e.g. tech professionals to health care.
- Type of Material:
- Covers the range of pure resource and referral to tests and quizzes that help in
construction of resume for job search.
- Recommended Uses:
- This would be best assigned as reference material for students to assist them in
preparing their resumes.
- Technical Requirements:
- Standard internet browser
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The major goal is to educate the user about how to construct an effective
- Target Student Population:
- This tutorial could benefit anyone who is undertaking a job search. However,
would be helpful for any student searching for his or her first professional
position in the human resources field. There are also links through this site
to resume quizzes for other fields such as high tech, retail, healthcare and
legal as well as one for general employment.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- None noted
- This quiz provides 10 questions from which the respondent chooses ?what he/she
would do? based on 3 options. Once the question is answered, the student
receives feedback as to whether or not that was the best choice and why. In
this case, the questions are geared towards the human resources field and help
the student to recognize what recruiters are looking for in that field. This
site, as part of the overall monster.com site, provides links to other sites
beneficial to the job seeker including a section on general career advice, a
resume building center, and to job searches on monster. These include very
useful information on interviewing, salaries, tips for building resumes,
information on how to deal with ?problems? on the resume (e.g. lack of
experience) and do?s and don?ts on resumes. It also provides information on
writing cover letters and provides examples of sample resumes. The site also
provides links to various job profiles so that the job seeker can collect more
information on careers in which they may be interested. There are 5 other
quizzes provided on the site. Four are geared to specific fields: high-tech,
legal, retail, healthcare while the last is a quiz geared towards general
- The quiz contained only 10 questions ? it would be helpful if there were more.
While the site provides links that take you to areas of further depth and
sufficiency, the individual would need to be self directed, intuitive, and
investigative to gain the full potential at this site.
- While there is a lot that this module can offer to the student in
terms of guidance in the job search process, this is more of a tool that the
professor would pass along to students rather than a project/assignment to be
adopted in class. It provides a great supplement to those teaching job search
- Again, this is not something that would likely be used as an assignment in
class. Rather it is material to which the instructors of graduating students
can refer their students to assist them in their resume writing and job
- The module is very easy to use and its interactive nature provides interesting
feedback. By providing access to so many other career/resume writing links this
site provides students with a good place to begin the job search.
- None noted
- Creative Commons: