“The Meaning Behind the Logo”
The Meaning Behind the Logo
Oct 14, 2003
- "The Meaning Behind the Logo" site overall is designed to serve as a reading and
listening resource for individual learners of ESL and for teachers seeking
listening materials for classroom and self -study use. The site offers a wide
variety of lessons, making it useful as a supplemental component to students and
instructors' teaching and learning resources. The site provides video, audio
and Internet material on branding and advertising as well as teaching modules
and language exercises based on these various resources.
- Type of Material:
- Video clips, various types of reading and listening comprehension exercises
- Technical Requirements:
- Real Player, Flash Player, Quick Time or Media Player
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- ? Make students familiar with the language of advertising.
? Make students aware of /Pre-teach vocabulary and ideas which may be used in
? Make students aware of what messages the symbols transmit.
- Target Student Population:
- High School, College ESL learners
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Low intermediate English language learner
- This site provides a clear purpose: reading and listening practice through real
life branding and advertising. There are four major categories: Reading and
Listening, Language Exercises on the Documentary, Lesson Plans, and
Complementary Material on Advertising and Media. The topics offer different
examples helping students to easily acquire language and culture through
learning branding and advertising content. Content includes video clips,
scripts of the video clip and various comprehension exercises. The exercise is
available along with a pre-listening activation activity which is accompanied by
an optional script box spelling out the content and dialogues in the video and
the time remaining to finish the activity. Links to brands and advertising
websites and activities enhance this website.
- The activities are not divided by proficiency level and the amount of the
activity is not adequate.
- This is an excellent resource for independent student work, online learning
materials as well as in-class group exercises in reading and listening. This
completed and easy- to- use website is readily integrated into reading,
listening and cultural activities.
- This site makes good use of audio and video. The quality of video and audio is
good and easy to navigate and use to practice. A consistent interface and
instructions make it easy for learners to follow the contents. The site's design
is clean and clear which approaches the goals and processes consistently
transparent to the user.
- Creative Commons: