- Peer Review: “Advertising Principles.com”
- Feb 29, 2004 by Business
- This website provides a comprehensive overview of advertising terminology,
principles, and application. Worksheets and a case studies are provided for
hands-on experience. The site also provides extensive links to additional
online resources that contain ads of all types including television back to the
1950s, print to the late 1800s, and much more.
- Type of Material:
- This site is designed as a resource site to accompany a course on advertising
and promotion. It includes worksheets, a case study, and basic informational
- Recommended Uses:
- The material is an excellent source to support advertising projects and
assignments, to obtain reference material for research, and to entertain those
who merely want to enjoy advertising. The material can be used both in and out
of the classroom to facilitate either individual or group work. There are links
to research papers, which could be used for class discussion and presentation.
There is also a variety of software provided at the site to facilitate the
design of an advertising campaign.
- Technical Requirements:
- Students will need a computer with a high speed Internet connection, a web
browser, spreadsheet software, and Adobe Acrobat. The user may need to download
appropriate viewers to see some of the ads, but links to download the
applications are provided.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The author?s goals are to provide students with the tools to methodically create
an advertising campaign and to provide students with a greater understanding of
advertising. This understanding extends beyond the typical textbook
information to the ability to assess an ad's effectiveness, create ads that will
be effective, understand the history of advertising, and apply the concepts
they have learned.
- Target Student Population:
- This material would be appropriate for undergraduate and/or graduate students
studying marketing, communications, IMC, promotions, and advertising.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Although this site is ideal for students who have a basic understanding of the
principles of advertising, the explanations and extensive support material make
it appropriate for introductory level advertising students. As such, students
should have completed an introductory course in marketing or advertising, as
some basic knowledge of advertising is assumed. Students must be familiar with
web browsers and software that enables the viewing of a variety of resources.
- The resources provided at this website are versatile and can be used in a
variety of courses (advertising, intergrated marketing communications,
This site would be well suited to accompany study in an online course, as all
resources are available online. The creator has included much more that one
would expect to find.
This site would also be an excellent resource for project work in an advertising
and/or promotion seminar that included a client project.
The links at the site are current and applicable to the design of an advertising
- Although the site has a variety of tools to be applied to the development of an
ad campaign, the instructor, most likely, would need to provide students with a
cohesive theoretical background to support the design process. Additionally,
there is not much discussion of the research process and the role it plays in ad
The author presents a very methodical process for design of an ad campaign, and
many of the tools provided are quantitative in nature. Unfortunately, the site
does not capture the qualitative components of designing an ad campaign very
Although the topics are interesting and certainly relevant, there does not
appear to be sufficient detailed information to provide students with a
comprehensive exploration of the topic.
Some of the links have changed addresses or no longer exist. However, this is
only a minute portion of what is included.
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
- This site is designed to provide students with tools to develop an ad campaign.
The material is well organized and there is a logical progression of topics,
which makes the site easy for students to access and use. A professor who is
new to teaching advertising or needs a new project assignment can easily use
this site to create excercises and/or projects.
- Educators should use this site to complement existing course material. As this
site focuses exclusively on the design of an ad campaign, it would be difficult
to use this site independently to study advertising.
Although the resources provided may be used in any type of advertising course,
the site is not detailed enough to provide comprehensive exposure to the topic
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
- The module is well designed and contains many easily accessible links. Provided
the students and faculty have a high speed Internet connection, they should
find the site both enjoyable and highly educational. The module is well
organized, and there are a variety of topics addressed via website links and
articles, which could be adapted to different courses. Students could use the
resources in or outside of class to explore topics, and many of the resources
certainly could facilitate team work as well.
- This site is an excellent resource for ad campaign development, however, the
site may not be engaging to students as it is essentially a collection of
website links and downloads. As noted earlier, students are assumed to have
some prior knowledge of advertising concepts, as basics are not discussed.
Many of the tools provided assume that students are already familiar with more
advanced advertising topics. Instructions and objectives provided are rather
brief, which may prevent students from using this site independently