“ABCs of Personal Growth: Online Psychology Tests”
ABCs of Personal Growth: Online Psychology Tests
Oct 20, 2004
- This site provides access to an abundance of articles, vendors, and self-help
information on more than two hundred topics. Also included are
psychology-relevant quizzes and access to the self-help psychology book entitled
"Be Your Own Therapist" by Thayer White. Quizzes on emotional intelligence,
gender purity, pop psychology, and job satisfaction can all be found on this
- Type of Material:
- The site consists of mainly text and graphics with numerous links to other
topic-related sites. The online quizzes must be graded manually and only minimal
explanatory text is provided.
- Recommended Uses:
- The site is a very good resource center for individuals seeking information on
homeopathic remedies/solutions to improving their mental and physical health. In
a classroom, it could be useful in a discussion of testing and/or research
methodology. It is also an excellent example of "pop psychology". It could be
used in a discussion of critical thinking and test interpretation. The merit of
the quizzes provided is highly questionable, which could promote a healthy
discussion of ethics and the place of psychology in our daily lives.
- Technical Requirements:
- A current browser is recommended.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The site is a resource for information on numerous topics pertaining to mental
and physical health and is intended to assist individuals to make informed
decisions that might promote healthy changes in their lives. The author claims
that the quizzes are designed to promote self growth as one compares their
answers to the "healthy" response identified by the author. While
the site can be used as a learning tool, this would not be the most appropriate
use of the site.
- Target Student Population:
- The target population includes both young and mature adults.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- With over two hundred topics from which to choose and several links to related
sites on each topic there is an abundance of quality information readily
- The material provided is inadequate to provide a thorough understanding and
accurate picture of any of the topics addressed.
- The on-line personality and E-IQ tests along with the on-line psychology self
help book are good reference sources for students studying cognition, emotion,
- The validity of the quizzes is questionable.
- The site is easy to navigate. Access quizzes is straightforward and viewing
the individual results and comments is simple. Accessing the self help articles
from the Personal Health and Self Help Directory is also very easy.
- Although listed separately on the site's home page, the link to the self help
articles and to the Site Index is the same. One wonders why the two categories
are not combined under a common header. The quizzes are not self-scoring. One
must compare the "correct" answers with his or her choices.
- Creative Commons: