“Ojala que llueva cafe”
Ojala que llueva cafe
Nov 20, 2003
- Ojala que llueva cafe is a guided reading module, based on the popular song by Domincan artist, Juan Luis Guerra. The listening, speaking, reading and writing skills are all addressed. The target language is used, except for occasional translations in the glossed reading and a translation of the song lyrics found on a separate page. Students can practice the subjunctive by linking to the Spanish Grammar exercises from the home page. There is scoring in the grammar exercises. Ojala features regional vocabulary, phonetic structure and photographs from the Caribbean in addition to standard Spanish. There are external links to outside online resources, e.g., dictionaries, Spanish grammar tutorials, and Spanish accent rules.This site contains plenty of material for several assignments, or several days of work in class. The 51 photos of the people, places and things of the Dominican Republic are an excellent resource, as are the many grammar exercises, and of course the focus of the site, the song (lyrics and audio) Ojala que llueva cafe, by Juan Luis Guerra.
This site is ready for immediate use in a classroom, or as an assignment to students for work outside of class.
* Refers to student's ability to see the module when projected on a large classroom screen.
The grammar section link provides a very complete tutorial on the use and forms of the Subjunctive. The Foto Tour page is a "gem" of photos, providing expansion activities for reading and writing, and creating cultural links with Afro-Hispanic themes, e.g., Spanish Caribbean poetry.
- Type of Material:
- Text, audio, graphics, and photographs.
- Technical Requirements:
- Netscape browser and Quicktime 3.0 or higher installed,
as indicated on the front page
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- Learning outcomes: development of reading skills through the graphic-glossed lyrics; development of listening skills by providing the song, broken down into manageable chunks, accompanied by the lyrics; enhanced comprehension of the authentic Dominican accent; development of reading and writing proficiency through the use of the Spanish subjunctive grammar exercises; development of cultural understanding of the Dominican people, and their Afro-Hispanic roots, through a photo album.
- Target Student Population:
- Intermediate/Advanced Spanish proficiency levels
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- This site could be used for beginning, intermediate, and advanced students, but is probably most appropriate for intermediate and advanced students. The site will appeal to a variety of learning styles. It is multisensory and interactive, incorporating several of the multiple intelligences, with particular emphasis on the musical and visual.
- The organizing principle is clear and the subject matter is treated in depth.The module demonstrates very productive media-to-content correspondences. It is multisensory and interactive, incorporating several of the multiple intelligences, e.g., musical, visual, etc.Using music and lyrics is an ideal way to teach the receptive and expressive skills, practice difficult grammar structures and compare and contrast the rich diversity within the Hispanic culture The Foto Tour is a "gem" of photos which provide expansion activities for reading, writing and creating cultural links with Afro-Hispanic themes. Language is represented in context. External links are relevant and useful.
- This module is useful both as a teaching resource and for student independent study. It is engaging, complete and can be readily integrated into the curriculum. The photo journal lends itself to expansion activities in speaking and/or writing. The Dominican Republic is not often given a lot of treatment in standard textbooks, so this site is a plus for those who want to provide extra information on a Caribbean country.
- Very clean and functional design. Author uses a pop-up box to warn user of needed download time on the song page. The software presents information in familiar ways and provided the user has the proper plug-in, it is easy to use.
- Creative Commons: