Dec 26, 2006
- This interactive, 7-section, basic, tutorial is designed to help individuals develop an effective research strategy to find the right information about companies located primarily in the United States. Among the resources presented are: EDGAR, Marketline Business Information Center, LexisNexis Academic, Selectory Online, and ABI/Inform . The tutorial ends with a printable checklist.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- This module would be very useful in introductory business classes or general education classes that require research on company financials or general company background.
- Technical Requirements:
- Internet access with a standard browser. The tutorial does run better on Netscape.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The guide is specifically designed for Indiana State University freshman and sophomores, but is appropriate for any adult learner who is unfamiliar with searching for company data. Fundamental concepts of conducting company research are linked to illustrated, step-by-step guides, demonstrating how to search a variety of online business resources. Embedded quizzes offer the user the opportunity for gauging their mastery of the material.
- Target Student Population:
- This tutorial is used by students in freshman English and business classes, distance learners, and university career center clients doing research prior to interviews.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Company Data is an excellent, stand alone module that teaches and demonstrates company research methodology and research sources for U.S. based companies. Information is current and relevant, providing accurate information. The module is clear and concise and informed by scholarship. The amount of content is adequate, well integrated and summarized, making Company Data an admirable self-contained tutorial.
- While not necessarily a concern, users should realize that some of the links are specific to the authors institutional setting, but with proper supplemental information the module is adaptable to any college or university. In addition, some of the links require users to be registered before they can be used.
- This tutorial covers effectively the concepts used to teach students how to research company data and financial information. Learning objectives are included, with concepts reinforced progressively. Important terms are highlighted and defined. A two question interactive self-assessement appears at the end of each segment. Overall, the module is a excellent teaching tool for learning and/or reviewing how to conduct company research online.
- Once a quiz question review link is chosen users cannot return to the next question without reading and/or clicking through all prior screens. Links on the site map lead to a dead end.
- Creative Commons: