“Crisis, Grief, and Healing: Men and Women (Tom Golden LCSW)”
Crisis, Grief, and Healing: Men and Women (Tom Golden LCSW)
May 21, 2007
- This site is described as a resource for exploring "the many different paths to heal strong emotions." Tom Golden, a licensed clinical social worker and psychotherapist, is the author of the site and numerous books on healing from loss. Resources on grief are provided, as well as a discussion site and chat for addressing specific types of loss.
- Type of Material:
- Text, discussion forum, and live chat.
- Recommended Uses:
- This is a very focused site and could be used in a course addressing grief. Some resources from different countries are provided, allowing for possible a cross-cultural look at grieving. In addition, there is some information on gender differences in dealing with loss that could be incorporated into a discussion of traditional views of masculinity and femininity.
- Technical Requirements:
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- This site provides text-based information on grieving and dealing with loss.
- Target Student Population:
- This site could be used by High School and College students.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- This site is not designed to be a teaching tool, but those who are grieving could use it. The availability of such a resource could be valuable to those experiencing such a time of need. It permits the anonymous exchange of very strong emotions.
- The content is limited in quantity and in scope.
- The articles, columns, and excerpts could be used in the classroom as supplemental readings to reinforce concepts discussed in class.
- If one were teaching a course on grief, this site could be useful. The limited nature of the site does not make it particularly valuable as a teaching tool
- At the time of the review, all links were active and both the discussion and chat were fully functional.
- The site is not organized to the extent that it could be. This occasionally causes confusion when looking for items. For example, "experts say" deals with what reviewers are saying about the author's book instead of what experts might say about grief and coping.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- There seem to be more ads on the site than educational materials, but this site is not designed to be an educational resource.
- Creative Commons: