“Foreign Language Teaching Forum: WWW Resources for Language”
Foreign Language Teaching Forum: WWW Resources for Language
Feb 5, 2008
- The site provides links to Internet resources for foreign language teachers including links to extensive collections, individual sites created by FL teachers and/or organizations, authentic media resources (newspapers, radio, TV), professional organizations, dictionaries, online journals, etc. In addition to general FL resources, it offers collection of sites for ten languages: Chinese, ESL, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Latin, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- The site could be used as a starting point for locating learning materials for FL learners of all levels and with variety of learning needs. FL teachers may be interested in sites that provide lessons and individual exercises developed by other FL teachers, as well as information related to professional organizations, possible sites for publication or jobs. An extensive list of authentic learning materials (online newspapers, radio, TV) can serve as a valuable source of media texts in a variety of languages.
- Technical Requirements:
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- Support for language teaching and learnin
- Target Student Population:
- Teachers and learners of foreign/second languages. Students of all language proficiency levels.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- While including a great variety of online resources, this metasite provides a clear and logical grouping of sites and short but helpful descriptions of almost all resources. The site design is not fancy but simple and user-friendly.
- One may spend quite a while of time before locating the desired site. It would be helpful if each link was tagged with key words that could be searchable. It would also be nice, if resources could be ranked and commented by users.
- The effectiveness for teaching depends on what resources one locates and how she/he uses them. The site does not have detailed annotation of each resource it provides and it is the user herself/himself to judge its value as a teaching/learning tool. However FL teachers and learners will appreciate the fact that someone took time and put together and grouped such a variety of quality online resources thus saving users time on locating online learning resources.
- The choice of resources, the way they are grouped and a short description of almost all sites could be of great help to not only novice but also to more advanced users of online resources for educational purposes. However, whether these resources benefit FL teachers/learners, depends on users themselves their expertise in the target language, foreign/second language methodology, and/or in instructional technologies.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Creative Commons: