Jun 3, 2008
- Animoto.com is a web application that creates MTV-style videos with the click of a button.
Users simply choose a song and images. Animoto then automatically generates a unique video for them. No two videos are ever the same.
Many of the post-production techniques that the founders used while working as producers for MTV, Comedy Central & ABC are used in Animoto's patent-pending Cinematic Artificial Intelligence developed to think like an actual editor and director. The resulting video is produced in a widescreen format, containing the visual energy of a music video and the emotional impact of a movie trailer.
- Type of Material:
- Online web application for animation construction
- Recommended Uses:
- Animoto could be used in a variety of educational settings including introducing new topics in classes (face to face or online), as a presentation tool for student and faculty use; documenting a school or class experience; constructing a visual reflection, and summarizing key points of subject content.
- Technical Requirements:
- Animoto requires either jpg or gif files no larger than 5 MB and MP3 files if you are providing your own music.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The goal of Animoto is to create MTV-style videos from user-selected still images. Educators could take this web application a step further to address the goals of capturing a whole experience though a series of images and approaching multimedia by thinking like a director. While not set up to be an educational resource, Animoto allows users to create a video out of still shots. This could be used to make a point of the author's choosing in a graphic way.
- Target Student Population:
- Junior high school through adults
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Ability to upload jpg or gif files; possibility of uploading MP3 files
- Content is up to the user. This tool allows the user to upload pictures and music. Animoto's patent-pending Cinematic Artificial Intelligence is developed to think like an actual editor and director. The resulting video is produced in a widescreen format, containing the visual energy of a music video and the emotional impact of a movie trailer.
- This web application is so engaging that you can easily find yourself creating many videos and not staying on task.
- The site's usefulness is entirely up to the user. Assignments that address a presentation topics, documenting a school or class experience, constructing a visual reflection, or summarizing key points of subject content could be made more engaging by using Animoto. The digital natives in the class would appreciate assignments with this approach. This web application support visual literacy skills which is both cognitive and affective domain based. Learning assignments could easily work with a student teaching assignment or with any methods classes.
- The use of visual and auditory material without the use of narration might lead to less cognitive-oriented material.
- This site has clearly labeled and colored navigation icons at the top of each page. Supporting site and contact information is at the bottom of each page. The directions for making a video clip are easy and clear to follow. You can upload multiple image files all at once.
- Those who are not comfortable with manipulating picture files might be overwhelmed by this site.
- Creative Commons: