Jan 10, 2009
Library and Information Services
- This is a website that covers the entire research process from topic selection to citing sources. It features an assignment calculator, which allows students to see the steps customized for their individual deadlines. It also has links to pages showing how to find books, articles and web resources.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- Individual, could be introduced as part of a class, but needs to be worked through individually
- Technical Requirements:
- Browser required.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The user will learn the steps necessary to complete a research paper.
The user will learn to locate library material.
- Target Student Population:
- Undergraduates in any course or major requiring a research paper
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- No special skills required.
- This website does an excellent job of breaking the research process down into smaller, more manageable pieces. It would be extremely useful for a student writing his or her first college research paper. It can be used for any discipline.
- This would be best when used in conjunction with an assignment, otherwise it would not be as effective.
- This website introduces new concepts in a logical way, the way I feel is the most logical for students to write a research paper. It builds on previous concepts, but each step can also stand alone. This site could be helpful in writing assignments for research papers.
- To really go through each page in the site would be extremely time-consuming. It might be interesting to allow students to put in the specific criteria for their paper and have a custom checklist generated for them.
- This website is easy to use and has clear instructions.
- With the exception of the assignment calculator, this site is not interactive and the average student would benefit if additional interactive tutorials were built in to the tutorial.
- Creative Commons: