“Identify Needed Resources: Learn Information Literacy Initiative”
Identify Needed Resources: Learn Information Literacy Initiative
Oct 30, 2010
Library and Information Services
- This is one module of an information literacy tutorial. It describes the range of potential resources available for an assignment. Definitions of each type appear in a hyperlinked pop up window. In addition, a table comparing and contrasting the differences between magazines and journals is available. A very short exercise gives students practice in selecting the
appropriate type of resource for a given assignment and a quiz may also be taken to test one's comprehension of the module.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- individual or class library orientation.
- Technical Requirements:
- Browser, flash, java
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The objectives of the tutorial are to identify the range of available resources,compare an assignment's needs to the resources and select the most appropriate resource based on those needs.
- Target Student Population:
- College general education
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- The strength of this tutorial lies in the manner in which the instruction is placed in the context of a research assignment. In this way students are provided examples of how each type of resource might be used. Understanding the types of resources available is a core concept that students need to have in order to begin their research.
- use of Australian terms, like lecturer
- The learning objectives are clearly described at the beginning of the tutorial. This particular module is appropriately positioned in the sequence of modules, each of which builds on information provided in the previous modules. The module takes about 10 minutes to complete which is reasonably fast.
- Students in a hurry, may not take the time to view additional hyperlinked resources or perform the exercises that aid comprehension.
- The design quality is quite good with attractive graphics and moderate use of flash animations and interactivity. The instructions are quite clear and I am impressed by the detailed navigational instruction page and alternative navigation option offered by the site map. In addition, detailed instructions were supplied in regard to technical requirements. It is a self-paced tutorial which is also a good design feature.
- Users who view only a portion of a module may not recall their "place"; there are quite a few sections to it. Best to view the entire module in one session.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- This is a very well executed tutorial.
- Creative Commons: