“Economic Growth Research”
Economic Growth Research
Jun 9, 2011
- This site contains the data sets related to some of the published articles and working papers on economic growth. Besides the datasets, a description file, as well as the abstracts of the articles are available online.
- Type of Material:
- Reference data sets and associated explanations.
- Recommended Uses:
- This web site would benefits international finance and economics classes.
- Technical Requirements:
- Browser to access. Statistical software is advisable to utilize data when presented.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The goal is educate the general populace regarding World Bank activities across the globe and to give individuals an opportunity to buy specific data sets for research purposes.
- Target Student Population:
- Upper division international management courses or graduate level courses in international business and trade.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Understanding of international organization datasets and basic descriptive and inferential statistics. Set is best use with a statistical package.
- The content quality is excellent. It appears that an extraordinary amount of time was spent in crafting the reports, papers, presentations, and educational videos. They appear to be professional quality.
- Some of the links do not work, as in "Projects & Operations."
- The ability to purchase actual data adds a practical dimension to this website that is missing in many others. So much information is provided that users have a broad array of topics and formats from which to choose. The "News and Announcements" section contains up-to-date information from diverse World Bank activities.
- Data sets are presented in very broad categories. The organization of the datasets is not clearly linked to a learning objective.
- The ease of use, combined with the multimedia display (rotating pictures, videos, news stories, powerpoint presentations) makes this website both easy to use, and visually appealing.
- The reliability and validity of the datasets is not clearly established.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- An overview document describing the rationale for selection of the particular datasets would raise the credibility of the site.
- Creative Commons: