“Learning management system or the open web?”
Learning management system or the open web?
Sep 19, 2011
- From the website: “The Learning to Teach Online project is a free professional development resource designed to help teachers from any discipline, whether experienced in online teaching or not, to gain a working understanding of successful online teaching pedagogies that they can apply in their own unique teaching situations.” This description is at: http://online.cofa.unsw.edu.au/learning-to-teach-online/about-the-project
The Simon McIntyre series has been reviewed by the Teacher Education Board. This review represents only this component.
The learning object in question consists of a video and a descriptive pdf. There are related videos available on the same website.
- Type of Material:
- Workshop and Training Material (video and pdf).
- Recommended Uses:
- This site is for instructors who are moving to online teaching or for those who want to increase their knowledge of and skill in online teaching and learning. Not for in-class use, unless the class is about learning the pedagogy of online education and the LMS.
- Technical Requirements:
- Modern hardware and software.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The student in this case is the teacher learning the principles of online education and the LMS.
- Target Student Population:
- Instructors wanting to learn more about online education and learning management systems.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Basic computer knowledge and understanding of pedagogy.
- The video and associated pdf provide a good introduction to the issues surrounding the usage of an LMS (learning management system).
- The video is meant to be a beginning. It is part of a larger series, including case studies.
- The video is a brief introduction to the topic at hand. Therefore there are no true prior concepts upon which to build. However, the concepts presented ate neatly tied together.
- For some, a longer, or more in-depth video would be more useful.
- High production quality. Part of an integral body of informative learning objects.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Well-made video with associated pdf, an integral part of a more expansive series.
- Creative Commons: