“Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology”
Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology
Jun 27, 2012
- Emerging Perspectives on Learning, Teaching, and Technology is an online book from the Association for Educational Communications and Technology. A good resource for teachers, education majors, and doctoral students who intend to teach, this book includes chapters about learning and cognitive theories, learner-centered theories, inquiry strategies, tools for teaching and learning, socially oriented theories, and direct instruction strategies.
- Type of Material:
- Open textbook
- Recommended Uses:
- All teachers and trainers can benefit, though it specifies from middle school through college and into business professions. This would be a great resource for adjunct professors who may not be as well versed in the topics covered.
- Technical Requirements:
- Internet browser
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- To provide an overview of learning and instructional theory using 21st Century models.
To offer theories, models and strategies,including specific examples,of newer methods of teaching which will assist teachers in reaching and engaging a wider range of students.
Helps users understand how people learn and make sense of information as well as specific strategies for effectively engaging with students.
- Target Student Population:
- Middle school through college. Education majors and doctoral students who intend to teach
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Understanding of learning, cognition, and instruction. For a teacher, an interest in making changes to classroom environment and style to engage more learners.
- This is a high quality textbook. Not only is the content clear and concise but all theories presented are summarized well.
- Learning objectives are identified. This text is also easy to write assignments for. Overall, this text is a very effective teaching tool. Comprehensive information is provided along with examples.
- There is a lot of information on this site; it may be difficult for students to find and absorb everything without assistance from someone who is familiar with the site and/or its content.
- Outlines and hyperlinks are used to organize the extensive material. Users can also search the site making it easy to find specific information. Instructions are clear. Site is organized well and is of high quality.
- Some paragraphs are long and, with the small font used, can be difficult to read on screen.
- Creative Commons: