“Teaching Like Its 2999”
Teaching Like Its 2999
Oct 22, 2012
- Teaching Like it's 2999 is a blog created by former Chicago Public School teacher, and now Digital Learning Coordinator for the Academy for Urban School Leadership, a network of 25 neighborhood Chicago Public Schools. Jennie Magiera wrote a grant for a full class of iPads in her 4-5 grade math classroom. The blog chronicles her learning during the implementation process and afterward.
The material presented in this Blog provides a collection of training materials that promote effective usage of social media in the classroom to increase students’ voices that leads to positive outcomes of social networking. Examples of detailed description of training material include: How to sync an iPad with computer to make it an interactive white board by using a Doceri Desktop, How to use school resources , Benefits of using You Tube, and how to develop your own. The material also includes a pdf guide for setting up folders with sync and deploy iPads by using the Bretford Power sync cart accessible to anyone at any level, Secrets to Ed Tech Rollouts, Writing iPAD and Technology Grants,Screen casting(download free iTunes U course on Screencasting and digital differentiation through video, Amazing Apps,and 10 Ipad Tips.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- Pre-service and in-service teachers would benefit from reading these materials, particularly those who wish to use technology effectively in their classrooms.
- Technical Requirements:
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The overarching goals are to:
1. Integrate the use of the iPad into the classroom;
2. Develop strategies for implementing technology in the classroom to enhance learning
3. Share experiences in integrating technology.
More specific goals include:
1.Effective use of YouTube Videos to enhance instructional strategies by scaffolding, diffeentiating instruction, provide extra practice, activate learning and engagement or extend learning.
2.Effective use of mobile and digital learning will increase teacher and students' leverage of social media to break down the walls of their classrooms and incerase authentic content exploration, and use sites such as Twitter and Facebook and power "for good and not evil."
An additional goal for professional learning at the district and school level is to increase teachers' effectiveness in use of digital learning to support project- based learning for 21st Century learning, such as collaboration,critical thinking,problem solving and reflection.
- Target Student Population:
- Pre-service and in-service teachers, teacher educators.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- The learning objectives are relevant and current as they address the role of digital and mobile learning in today's classrooms.
he author has had experience both in the classroom and as an advisor to other teachers. This comes through in her practical and straightforward explanations of both her experiences implementing tools and her insights gained in other classrooms.
- The site focuses on the use of Apple equipment only. However, the pedagogy and use of materials can translate to other technologies.
- The learning materials are easy to use provided that teachers have access to the appropriate digital and mobile technology.The material can be used to improve teacher effectiveness and student positive outcomes.
After reading the materials, educators should be able to navigate using iPads in their own classrooms, avoiding many of the pitfalls that the author describes.
- The materials presented in the blog is easy to use,buttons and layout are visually attractive, and easy to follow. Participants can select the area of material that speaks to their indiviudal learning need.
The materials are coded so that they are easily retrievable in the search engine. The explanations are easy to follow. There are lots of links within the blog to help further the mission of each entry.
- Creative Commons: