“International Children's Digital Library”
International Children's Digital Library
Jan 14, 2013
- The subject site is a children’s library consisting of electronic books organized by a variety of categories including age group, color, and geography.
From the website: "The mission of the International Children's Digital Library Foundation (ICDL Foundation) is to support the world's children in becoming effective members of the global community - who exhibit tolerance and respect for diverse cultures, languages and ideas -- by making the best in children's literature available online free of charge. Has an outstanding collection of children's books from around the world and supports communities of children and adults in exploring and using this literature through innovative technology designed in close partnership with children for children."
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- Classrooms, public libraries, learning communities, and homes.
- Technical Requirements:
- Modern browser, software, and computer equipment. Broadband access to the Internet is recommended.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- To create a collection of more than 10,000 books in at least 100 languages that is freely available to children, teachers, librarians, parents, and scholars throughout the world via the Internet. Support the world's children in becoming effective members of the global community - who exhibit tolerance and respect for diverse cultures, languages and ideas.
The goal of the site is to allow children to access literature in their mother tongue.
- Target Student Population:
- Children, teachers, librarians, parents, and scholars around the world.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Computer skills, be able to create a username and establish a password.
- • Well-designed features based in sound pedagogy. The reading materials offer a breadth of languages and subjects.
- How are books chosen?. Is there a system for identifying books that may not be appropriate for certain groups.
While the library can be self-contained, it would appear to be at its best when used in conjunction with supplemental materials such as in-class texts or at-home research projects.
- Excellent collection of diverse children books from around the world. Website is easy to navigate especially for children and it's available in many languages. Designed for children to use in all types of learning communities. Books can be integrated into any curriculum.
- Some books may not be appropriate for all cultures, religions, and other ethnic backgrounds.
- Excellent collection of diverse children books from around the world. Website is easy to navigate especially for children and it's available in many languages. Students can read books in their native language or in a language they are learning. Website is designed for those with very little Internet experience.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- • This site is well-designed and appealing. The depth of learning materials combined with the engaging design should enhance the learning experience.
- Creative Commons: