“Todar's Online Textbook of Bacteriology”
Todar's Online Textbook of Bacteriology
Dec 17, 2012
- Great in-depth book on microbiology which is intended for medical microbiology college level classes. This could easily supplement a tradition test book. Chapters are broken into individual subjects and bacteria are broken up into different pages so that students could easily look up a few key bacteria and either review for an exam or write a report.
- Type of Material:
- Web pages linked as chapters in a book to cover an entire medical microbiology book.
- Recommended Uses:
- To enhance or replace a microbiology book for a medical microbiology class.
- Technical Requirements:
- web acess
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The learning goals of this site are to introduce bacteria and how we interact with it on a daily basis. Its goal is also to either enhance or replace a traditional text book.
- Target Student Population:
- Upper level colleges students taking Pathogenic Microbiology or Medical Microbiology courses
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Biology, Chemistry, and General Microbiology would be recommended
- The material is fairly complete for understanding the concepts of bacteriology and pathogenic microbiology
- The material is clearly laid out and follows good pedagody for medical microbiology
- Images are of good quality and illustrate concepts well
- The various chapters are accurate and current
- Very detailed and clear Great photos Introduced topics in a very logical and orderly manor Great section on Bacterial Pathogens and Diseases of Humans as well as Principles of Bacterial Pathogenesis to list a few. Expresses the basic consepts in a well defined manor
- Incorporating a chapter on regulation of virulence and including information about the relationship between biofilms and infection somewhere in the text would be a plus
- Wish there was more content on Parasites and fungal infections
- Does a good job of demonstrating the relationships between microbes and the host
- Can serve as an excellent resource to build on the knowledge provided by pathogenic microbiology or medical microbiology courses
- Could be used by instructors to supplement lecture material
- Great supplementary information to a microbiology class. Covered most topics in depth. Explanations are easy to understand and verbiage is not too confusing for beginners
- Learning objectives for each chapter are not clearly stated
- Inclusion of learning activities based on Bloom's taxonomy would strengthen this material as a teaching tool
- Needs to cover fungal and parasitic organisms in more detail Would love practice questions or comprehension questions to be attached.
- It is very easy to locate and navigate through the chapters of this text.
- The material is well organized
- No defective links or bugs were found
- The material loaded extremely fast
- Would definitely be a great supplementary information for the traditional text book. But still needs a few changes to truly take over for a physical test book.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Great supplementary information especially the Bacterial Pathogens and Diseases of Humans as well as Principles of Bacterial Pathogenesis sections.
- Creative Commons: