“Microeguide: Microbiology Lab Basics”
Microeguide: Microbiology Lab Basics
Dec 17, 2012
- The Microbiology Lab Basics guide is an excellent interactive tutorial for students who are new to the lab as well as a resource for review. This tutorial provides basic instruction on laboratory safety, microbiological skills and laboratory equipment using text, photos, simulations, and videos. This site contains brief quizzes over all the critical areas of working in a laboratory (GLP, PPE, clean up, emergency procedures). Registration is not required but is an option if instructors would like for students and the instructor to track quizzes and receive updates about the site.
- Type of Material:
- Tutorial with interactive simulations
- Recommended Uses:
- The safety component of the tutorial should be completed before the students begin working in the laboratory. Other components are to be used when introducing various lab skills or equipment.
- Technical Requirements:
- HTML and Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the exercises, certain files, and images. Adobe Flash Player to view the videos.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The primary learning goals are for students to learn how to safely work in a lab, use laboratory equipment appropriately, and develop standard laboratory skills.
- Target Student Population:
- The primary target population is High School and College General Ed students that will be working in a lab for the first time as well as more advanced student who need to review laboratory procedures.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- There are no prerequisites for this site.
- You Tube videos that illustrate laboratory techniques are excellent
- Images associated with the tutorials are good quality
- Examples of good and poor plate streaking
- Information associated with laboratory exercises is excellent
- The enumerating microorganisms simulation is a great tool for students to practice dilution and plate count problems
- Quizzes over the materials are very good
- None at the time of the review
- Promotes deeper understanding and builds knowledge of the laboratory techniques and equipment
- The quizzes and simulations makes it very possible to make assignments
- Have a microbiology lab class refer back to this website constantly to see how to do experiments as well as take quizzes to see if they retained knowledge of the material. Shows videos of how to do the procedures so student could look at the site before they performed the experiments.
- Lacks learning objectives for the tutorials
- The material is easy to navigate
- Well organized
- Appropriately searchable
- The images for the growth on the plates for the viable plate count simulation were not clear
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Wish it had the gram stain, Malachite green and endospore staining direction as well
- Creative Commons: