“31 Ways To Use Google+ in #highered”
31 Ways To Use Google+ in #highered
Jan 17, 2013
- 31 Ways to Use Google+ in #highered describes the following Google+ applications: Circles, Stream, Hangouts, Hangouts Extra, Search Profile, Google+ Mobile Applications, Google+ Page, Instant Upload, and Messenger. Suggestions are also given for students, faculty, and adminstrators on how to use Google+. Links are given for more information about Google+ and how to set up an account.
- Type of Material:
- Recommended Uses:
- The learning material can be used individually,as part of a faculty, student, and administrator new job orientation, or as a workshop.
- Technical Requirements:
- Works with Firefox 17.01, Safari 6.0.2, Google Chrome 23.0.1271.101, IE9. Does not display in an appropriate size for mobile versions of Safari nor Chrome.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- The learnining goal is to familiarize faculty, students, and adminstrators with Google+ applications and help them maximize the use of Google+ applications for learning and connecting at your organization.
- Target Student Population:
- • Any member of the higher ed community seeking new ways to collaborate at a distance - specifically aimed at faculty, administration, support staff, and students
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Must know how to navigate the View function in Google Present since this is the presentation software used.
- • The material is presented in a straightforward manner.
• Easy to understand.
• Application to specific populations and areas within higher ed.
- The learning material describes ways to use Google+ applications but it does not teach the user how to use the application.
- The learning objectives were identified clearly. Google+ applications that are described can be used in a school setting to share information and for communication. The target learners are technologically savvy and have access to computers. The resource can be readily integrated into any curriculum and pedagogy especially with the ability to show screen shots, videos, and documents.
- • To make this material stronger as a teaching tool it should integrate objectives and use tools to reinforce concepts discussed.
• While the material can easily be integrated into a curriculum, learning objectives are not identified
* instructor would need to establish what constitutes a successful learning outcome for this material since none are identified in the material
*concepts are not reinforced. This issue could be remediated by introducing some live simulations or hands-on exercises within the material.
• The material assumes that the learner understands Google Accounts and the Google way of doing things. These areas need to be spelled out within the presentation. A discussion of setting up a Google account should be demonstrated here.
- The slides are on the same page. The slide titles are colorful and are easy to identify. There is a separater slide for each user having a different background color. There is support available.
- • Usability is high given the learner has a foundation in the use of the Google Present online app. But how to use the menu in Google Present must be a foundational prerequisite in order to use this material. No instructions are given on how to navigate between slides. An alternative is to demonstrate how to use the View menu in Google Present at the beginning of this material.
- Other Issues and Comments:
- • A very informative presentation on the use and application of Google+. This presentation is especially useful for those in academia where examples for faculty, administration, students, alumni, and support staff.
- Creative Commons: