“Why Pay Taxes?”
Why Pay Taxes?
Feb 9, 2014
- This module is the first of four lessons from Theme 1: Your Roles as a Taxpayer developed by the Internal Revenue Service. It is also the first of 25 lessons from six themes located on the Whys of Taxes site. The site consists of the following three activities: 1)Your Federal Government, 2) Public Goods and Services, and 3) Citizens' Guide to the Federal Budget. An assessment has also been included along with a little tax trivia.
- Type of Material:
- Collection of four short interactive teaching and learning materials.
- Recommended Uses:
- In class, individual, team, as part of a lecture.
- Technical Requirements:
- Internet Explorer, may experience some functionality issues with Chrome.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- To help students understand why we need to pay taxes and what the tax revenue is used for in the United States.
- Target Student Population:
- High School, College General Education (personal finance)
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- None, this is introductory material and the student is supplied with sufficient information to complete the short assessments.
- The activities provides small snippets of information and allows an immediate assessment of that information. Content is delivered clearly and concisely. Content is current, relevant, and accurate. It is engaging and the activities can be repeated. The assessment provides immediate feedback in green font to indicate a correct answer or red font to indicate an incorrect answer. The site includes an adequate amount of material, integrating and summarizing concepts well.
- Activity 1 is a webquest, that culminates with answering three questions. Activity 2 asks users to list government services provided in their community. Activity 3 involves interpreting a pie chart. This site provides an ideal way for many modern students to learn some very basic information. For the most part the activities can be completed in 5-10 minutes.
- This site is well designed, attractive, and very engaging. The use of graphics is excellent. The design also makes good use of color without it being distracting. The activities and assessment included are extremely easy to use. Instructions are implicit in the design of each activity.
- Currency of this site could become an issue if it is not updated regularly.
- Creative Commons: