This PDF file is a section of an instructor-led tutorial session that focuses on teaching teachers how to deal with values issues as they arise within the classroom. The material provides several scenarios and meaningful exercises. While tailored to South African teachers, its lessons appear to be universal to the English-speaking world and addresses multi-culturalism.
Type of Material:
Professional development for pre-service teachers. Could also be used for a faculty retreat. This would be best used in a group setting rather than for individual self-study.
Adobe Acrobat Reader
Identify Major Learning Goals:
• Provide teachers with the tools to meet the value-related challenges encountered in the modern classroom.
* Also includes a set of individual learning objectives:
* explain the nature of values, and moral values in particular, and their importance
in teaching and learning;
• critically discuss objections to the idea of teachers involving themselves in the
development of learners’ moral values;
• explain your own role in learners’ moral development, and justify your standpoint
on how that role should be exercised;
• identify key principles relating to the development of learners’ moral values, and
some strategies for achieving this; and
• make sound moral decisions and resolve moral dilemmas that you face in the
learning environment with increased confidence.
Target Student Population:
• New teachers and those teachers who need training in values-based decision-making
Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
Evaluation and Observation
• The material is extremely well-written and easy to follow
• Concepts are effectively introduced and followed with an applicable activity that reinforces the material
• While there are in-text citations, these citations are not supported by a reference list. Since this is only a section of an entire lesson guide, it may be that all the references are at the end of the full guide to which the reviewers were not given access.
• The ability for this section to operate in stand-alone mode is limited by the missing reference list and the referred "further readings" list.
Potential Effectiveness as a Teaching Tool
The material allows for student/teacher interaction with a variety of scenarios. The modules easily fit in character education and cultural studies content. The document is thorough and incorporates good examples. A useful set of activities reinforces the concepts taught.
This appears to be part of a larger curriculum which we were unable to locate. It refers to materials outside of the reviewed material, so it is unclear how those materials would be made available.
Ease of Use for Both Students and Faculty
There is a built-in flexibility in use of documents for teaching, learning, and professional development. The modules are set up in a manner that allows for flow between steps/stages. This would be easy to use for a first-time facilitator. There are lots of excellent activities that reinforce the concepts.
• Just a static PDF file
• Could be more interactive to adapt to a virtual classroom setting
Other Issues and Comments:
This is a great tool for teaching, learning, and professional development of a controversial topic. Tasks can be set up for individual or group work.