Feb 27, 2013
- Practice problems on how to perform dilutions.
Dilution is one part of a larger web page called Biological Assays within Biology Concepts, but it addresses a very fundamental chemical concept that impacts biology in a significant way. It addresses basic volume-concentration dilutions as well as more complex Serial dilutions. Several important laboratory concepts such as making solutions and buffers are also addressed.
- Type of Material:
- This web site offers text and video animations to deliver the instructional material.
Tutorial on performing dilutions.
- Recommended Uses:
- Supplementing classroom instruction and independent study.
Out of class or lab practice.
- Technical Requirements:
- HTML and Quicktime.
- Identify Major Learning Goals:
- None specifically stated. Site covers:
How to do the calculations to set up the dilution
How to do the dilution optimally
How to calculate the final dilution
- Target Student Population:
- High school or undergraduate.
- Prerequisite Knowledge or Skills:
- Some basic understanding of volume and solutions would help, but are not necessary.
Basic biology or chemistry.
- Well designed
- Simple format and well-organized
- Conservative use of text helps explain the material without looking like an e-book
- Presents a good application of a difficult concept for students
- Provides an opportunity to learn theory and perform applications
- Content is current and accurate
- Limited number of types of dilution problems
- Concepts are distilled down into digestible learning blocks.
- Starts with simpler concepts and builds up to more complex concepts
- Video animations help keep students attention
- Question and quizzes increase the learning experience
- Would be a good out of class assignment for students struggling with dilutions
- Provides theory, practice problems and answers
- Could be used to generate assignments
- On my computer the videos were a little small. This could be a strength if the user has a smaller monitor
- Problems are somewhat simple--more examples would be useful
- Very clear and easy to navigate
- Loads easily
- Easy to navigate
- Fairly simple site
- The text is well written
- Practice problems well illustrated
- Some animations did not run smoothly
- Other Issues and Comments:
- Creative Commons: